1931 Commander running!....wait, maybe not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Commander running!....wait, maybe not

So we had just restored a 1931 Commander 70 and we took it out for its restored maiden voyage yesterday....it seemed to run fine....for a while. While driving up a hill (not very steep) it started making very weak sounding detonations (like it was firing but not properly). it instantly lost power and died....after wheeling it back to the house and checking it out, were at a bit of a loss. The motor will not start now and the closest that we have come to getting it to run again is just one or two very loud backfires. At first we thought it was the carb, but even after spraying starter fluid directly into the carb with the choke open, the motor doesnt respond. We've checked the fuel filter and spark plugs and they seem fine.......any suggestions? its been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster with this car, especially after yesterday and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would think that is an electrical problem. Is it getting spark? The timing may also be off. Also the points and condenser etc...
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Comment

We have had these discussions before. One thing about these wonderful old machines...they are simple enough that it is just a matter of time until you correctly diagnose the problem.

The key here is to not "over-stress" until you manage to find the problem. A couple of things that have perplexed me in the past...check to see that the points are gapped correctly. You can be surprised at how quick they can change if a small piece of trash was on the rub (cam contact) block when you initially adjusted them.

Another thing is to make sure that the contact on top of the rotor button is touching the carbon contact in the inside top of you distributor cap. I have had a rotor button slide down so far on the distributor shaft to where it will give too weak a spark to fire the plugs. That one will drive you crazy because it is still showing a spark if you are using one of those little in-line test tools.

When you re-gap your points, only loosen the screw just enough to move them, because the setting can change as you re-tighten the screw. Also make sure the points fit squarely when closed. Check to be certain that they are very clean. Even a speck of dust can cause carbon deposits that will change their ability to conduct properly. Good luck and when you get frustrated, take a break, have a cup of coffee, watch some TV, and go after it again. You'll eventually get it.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

thanks for the help guys...I'll check that stuff out and post back the results

Comment

I'm almost certain the 31 Commander has a timing chain rather than meshed gears. Check to see that it hasn't jumped.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Commander straight 8 and President straight 8 engines both have camshaft and crankshaft gears.
            Some of the 6 cylinders did have timing chains.

She could have stripped a tooth.
            Last edited by dak63R1; 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM.
            David

Comment

The fact that you heard poor ignition sounds just before things stopped sure sounds to me like distributor-related problems. I'd bet you'll find your troubles there. Good luck and keep us posted!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X