NEW AXLE ISSUSES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW AXLE ISSUSES

INSTALLING FLANGED AXLES IN THE TWIN FOR S/B. DRIVERS SIDE WENT RIGHT IN.
    PASS. SIDE SPLINES WONT MESH,[B)]TRIED TO PUT OLD AXLE BACK IN. SAME THING.THRUST BLOCK IS IN PLACE. ANY IDEAS????

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
    64 Avanti R3w/NOS
    88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

The spider gear, and TT carrier are "out of time". Get the axle started, turn it a few degrees and push it home.

JDP/Maryland

64 Commander
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

THATS THE PROBLEM JOHN. I CANT GET IT STARTED?? 56HAWK IS COMING OVER THIS EVENING. MAY BE BETWEEN THE TWO OF US WE CAN GET IT STARTED.SONNY ON THE RACING SITE SUGGESTED ROTATING THE CLUTCH PAC A LITTLE.THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

64 Avanti R3w/NOS

Comment

Well there in. John was right,the clutch pack moved?Took a little while. but there in. John thanks for your input.
        The instructions that come with the axles. Are very well done. Between them and your shop manual you should have no problems.
        If you do.Just ask the Forum.I did.[:I]Someone will know how to help.
        Old tapered axle
        Remove hub
        Removing the axle
        Install a grease fitting as per instrutions. This will eliminate
        having to pull the axles to gtease the bearings.OR forgetting to.

using 060 shim as guide to inlarge backing plate hole
        use old race to check size

check carrier to see if thrust block is still in place installed axles, besure to tighten bolts evenly to seat new race evenly.

64 Avanti R3w/NOS

Comment

This post makes no sense following the above post. Looks good.[:I]

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

they were[:I]. there seven of them?[:0]there on the racing site still. posted at same timewill repost after gran sons game this evening.
            64 Avanti R3w/NOS

Comment

I only saw two pictures on the Racing Studebakers forum. I was just
              hinting that a step by step process would be appreciated by many on
              this site. I know a few that have felt intimidated by how much work
              it MIGHT be to install these axles, and a tech article would remove
              those fears. Thats what I am trying to do with my Avanti project. I
              will say that taking the time to do it during the repair adds quite a
              lot of extra time. Each step has to have proper setup for clarity.

I also check posts at work, and many of the picture posting sites are
              blocked here at work, so I just see "look at this!" and nothing.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hello Karl,I have seen your splendid pictures of the rear axle .
                I am very interested in the sway bar and the other horizontal rods.
                Can you tell me of what manuefacturer they are and maybe other things to take care off to make these things under my car,tkanks

Comment

The factory offered both the traction and sway bars, many vendors have repopped the bars.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                  63 Avanti R1
                  63 Daytona convert
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                  59 3E truck
                  58 Starlight
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander

JDP Maryland