Valve cover install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover install

I had the opportunity to remove my manifold from my 51 Champion and while I had access to the valve covers I decided to remove them, clean things up a bit and put on new gaskets. The existing valve covers were attached by two bolts to each cover and each bolt had a locking washer on it.

I purchased a gasket set for the engine and along with the valve cover gaskets came eight copper washers. Four about the size of the bolt head and four that are smaller in diameter, but no instructions. I've been told that the copper washers are to be used instead of the locking ones to prevent oil leaks.

My questions is how to install these? Do I double up on the washers (using one large and one small for each bolt?); and if so, do I place the small or larger washer against the valve cover.

Personally I'm thinking that the washers should be stacked with the larger one against the bolt head and the smaller one against the valve cover, this way when it's compressed I should get a good seal; but this is only my educated guess.

Does anyone know the preferred installation procedure?

Would appreciate the help.

Phil
    51 Starlight

Originally posted by PVacco View Post
    Personally I'm thinking that the washers should be stacked with the larger one against the bolt head and the smaller one against the valve cover, this way when it's compressed I should get a good seal; but this is only my educated guess.

Phil
    That's correct, Phil.

And don't use lock washers anywhere on that application. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And don't over tighten them, as the sides of the valve covers will "bow" out, causing leaks at the bottom edge them. Ask me how I know.....

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the replies. I knew the lock washers were properly an incorrect application, but that's how I got the car.

I will clean things up (previous owner used some silicone sealant around the valve covers and it looks I'll need to clear out some of the oil channels that appear along the bottom of valve cover that have gotten plugged) and reinstall the covers when my garage warms up a bit. I have the manuals and will follow the torque specifications on install.

Again, thanks for your time to respond.

May all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Phil
        51 Starlight

Comment

after you clean them up but before you paint them or install the new gaskets, check all gasket surfaces with a straightedge and "tweak" as necessary. If worse comes to worst untweaked replacements ought to be readily available. nothing sucks worse than putting everything back together and having your nice clean shiny parts leak like a sieve.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Leaking Valve Lifter Oil Galleries on Champions

Originally posted by PVacco View Post
            /Cut/I'll need to clear out some of the oil channels that appear along the bottom of valve cover that have gotten plugged) and reinstall the covers when my garage warms up a bit.
            Be really careful of those "holes" that are "plugged up"! Those are open Valve Lifter Oil Gallery feed ports, that should be plugged with lead Carb. plugs per a factory Service Bulletin.
            Cleaning them out too well could be disastrous!! Most Engines without the mod or rebuilt just used the Valve Cover Gasket to seal them, hence they always leak!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Phil,

Nice car in your signature photo! Is it painted in an original Studebaker color like Comanche Red or Black Cherry?

Jim
              \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
              Jim Mann
              Victoria, B.C.
              Canada

Comment

Rich

Thanks for the reply. I'm wasn't aware that these ports needed to be closed (nothing shown in the manual, but I see you are referring to a service bulletin.) I am unformaliar with lead carb. plugs . . . would you use a high temp silicone material to plug these end?

Always learnign something new.
                51 Starlight

Comment

Orignal colar of the car was Black Cherry. The paint on the vehicle now is, I believe the third color and close to the orignal.
                  51 Starlight

Comment

Working...
                  X