Magic Ship of Christmas: Based on a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Ship of Christmas: Based on a Studebaker

Our Boy Scout Troop has a parade float known as the "Magic Ship of Christmas".

Click image for larger version

Name:	magicShip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1732878

It's based on what I believe to be a '63 Champ 8E5 with a straight 6. The old beastie runs pretty well, but it's a bit too high-geared for our needs and the amateur drivers go through a lot of clutches because of it.

I'd like to know what rear end is likely in it and what are our options for a lower ratio.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM.

Put a rearend out of a early R series pickup , that'll slower her down
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I was hoping to replace only the ring and pinion or the whole differential, not the rear end. The "engineering" that went into attaching the superstructure to the rear end is not something I want to deal with. As I recall it has the original (?) leaf springs, added coil-over springs and coil-over shocks.

If I was going to replace the rear end I'd use a dana 44 because you can get them cheap at any junk yard.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think when he said "rear end" he was using it in reference to the differential. Many car people use that as a slang term (Including myself at times).
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Ah. I think of the "rear end" as having brakes on each end and a differential in the middle.

I recently narrowed a full-floating rear end from a '96 Land Cruiser FZJ80 to the correct width for a '76 FJ40. "Land Cruiser" should be relevant to a Studebaker forum.

Comment

You say it's based on a 63 Champ,should'nt it already have a Dana 44.
            Originally posted by Fast Eddy View Post
            I was hoping to replace only the ring and pinion or the whole differential, not the rear end. The "engineering" that went into attaching the superstructure to the rear end is not something I want to deal with. As I recall it has the original (?) leaf springs, added coil-over springs and coil-over shocks.

If I was going to replace the rear end I'd use a dana 44 because you can get them cheap at any junk yard.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I read somewhere that it might be a "type 44". If that's a Dana 44, I should be all set. I also read it might be 3.44:1. If so, a 4.11:1 would be perfect for what we do with it (parades and around town).

Any confirmation of my guesses would be appreciated.

Edit: I see some 4.10:1 diffs on CL for not a lot of $$s
              Last edited by Fast Eddy; 12-21-2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

The truck originally came with a Spicer 44, same product as a Dana, just a name change. Most all the truck ratios were in the 4's already. The lowest (numerically) ratio available was 3.73. If it really does have a 3.44, that's something a previous owner has installed. Even if this is a 3-speed, the 3.34 first gear lets these trucks pull out in low gear like a diesel.......let the clutch out slowly and it should creep off at an idle. You do need to keep the free play adjusted, but if it smokes clutches, I wonder if there is a driveability problem?
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Ok, new info. Apparently I was wrong and it is built on a '62 Lark and it probably has a Dana 27.

Ideally I would be able to find a Dana 27 diff with 4.27:1 gears. Jeep maybe?
                  Last edited by Fast Eddy; 12-22-2010, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    let the clutch out slowly and it should creep off at an idle. You do need to keep the free play adjusted, but if it smokes clutches, I wonder if there is a driveability problem?
                    We do that, and the good drivers can drive it just fine, but not everyone can do it. Heck, not everyone has ever even heard of a three-on-the-tree. It probably weighs about 3 tons and sometimes we need to drive it up curbs. We park it around town during the season and let kids come up to take pictures of Santa as a fund raising venture every year. If it had some lower gears, it would be easier for everyone. The shed where it is stored has a dirt floor and is not easy to get into either.

Comment

That poor Lark!!! LOL Thats alot for that Car to handle.I would love to see a bigger picture of it.
                      Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      The Prez 1955 President State
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
                        That poor Lark!!! LOL Thats alot for that Car to handle.I would love to see a bigger picture of it.
                        Agreed. I always thought it was a bigger car. There are more and larger pics on the site. http://santaship.org

The plywood siding was recently replaced with plastic, but I heard the reinforcement was heavy, so it might not have helped much. It actually drives pretty well. It has been in this form for over 30 years; two parades per year and probably another hundred miles or so at speeds up to 40mph.

The dash and steering wheel are still stock and the heater works. The old six is as reliable, well, as an old six.
                        Last edited by Fast Eddy; 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM.

Comment

A Lark! That makes more sense now. Yes, it had/has a model 27. Earlier you mentioned replacing the ring and pinion. Since this isn't a 'drop-out' third member, it's easier to replace the whole axle assembly for most people. Pop the hub and drum assembly off with a hub puller, unbolt the backing plates and tie them back (watch the end play shims on right side), unbolt driveshaft and u-bolts on axle housing, out she comes!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                            Since this isn't a 'drop-out' third member, it's easier to replace the whole axle assembly for most people.
                            Back to the model 44 then maybe. Apparently the superstructure is not welded to the axle as I feared. From the powers that be we'll probably delay the project until before the 4th of July parade.

If all you Studepeople want to make a plan it's only about $100 or so to be in the parade. Come on out! Morgan Hill, CA. http://www.mhidi.com/

Thanks for the input!!

Comment

NONE of the Studebaker rear ends use a drop-out 3rd member. If this car has such, it must be from another make. Is there a removeable cover on the back? Are there any tags attached to one of the bolts?
                              It would be easiest to replace a 27 rear end with another 27. Using a 44 will require some driveshaft work. The 27's are cheaper and plentiful in the 'shorter' ratios.

Comment

Working...
                              X