PDA

View Full Version : GT Hawk Exhaust System

geojerry
04-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Would like to install on my 63 GT Hawk, a pair of Dual MAGNAFLOW exhausts to "liven-up" the sound. Has anyone done this and what model exhaust are needed from them ?

Thx

Dick Steinkamp
04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't believe Magnaflow makes anything for a Stude. They are known for exhaust systems for new and fairly new pickups and performance cars...Mustangs, Corvette's, etc.

If you want louder exhausts, try Flowmaster mufflers

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/

They are sort of the "industry standard" for barely legal noise [8D]

Too loud for me, however. (I know, "If it's too loud...you're too old" [^])

I have generic "turbo" mufflers on my '54. They have a nice tone, but don't drive me nuts on a long drive.

Check with your local muffler shop. They can probably make a recommendation based on your threshold of pain [:o)]. They can replace just your mufflers, or the entire system if yours is in need or replacement. Studebaker didn't use a"X" pipe or crossover pipe in their dual system on the GT's, but if you are going to replace the whole system, I'd do that.

BTW, the cold side (right side) of a GT's exhaust system will rust out probably 4 to 1 over the left side.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

John Kirchhoff
05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Dick made a very valid point, what sounded cool going around the block gets pretty tiresome on an all day drive. I learned that a long time ago (when I was a young guy) on bikes. Just my opinion, but super loud exhausts (like straight pipes on Harleys) is being rude to others, gives the entire group of riders/drivers a bad rep and makes me think of a little kid standing up and shouting "Hey, look at me!" Me? I want to be able to pass a Amish buggy on my bike and not startle the horse, turn the buggy over and kill someone.

geojerry
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the comments. Will def keep the sound at a reasonable level. Looks like the FLOWMASTER 40 Delta Series could be the one. I only need the 2 mufflers and new clamps. My stainless steel exhaust pipes are only 2 years old.

N8N
05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Just measure inlet and outlet sizes, and you might need a short extension on the inlet - the stock mufflers were fairly long. You want center inlet/offset outlet. (I think, going from memory here.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

dclewallen
05-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Check with JEG'S or SUMMIT they offer universal MAGNAFLOW mufflers in a couple of different lengths and several pipe diameters.

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

MagikDraggin
05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by geojerry

Would like to install on my 63 GT Hawk, a pair of Dual MAGNAFLOW exhausts to "liven-up" the sound. Has anyone done this and what model exhaust are needed from them ?

Thx

Just for what it's worth, I recently replaced the mufflers on my 62 GT Hawk and first tried out a pair of "Thrush" 28" glaspaks. Beautiful deep sound....not harsh like the (IMHO) really nasty sounding Flowmasters that sound more like there's an empty 35 gallon drum attached to the head-pipe.

The only drawback and the main reason I took them back off was the interior drone that occured at expressway speeds, which got old really fast.

I'm not really familiar with how Magnaflows would sound on a 289 Hawk, but I was not pleased with how they sounded on a '96 350 Corvette. Again, it was the interior drone that got to me.

As one other poster mentioned, I eventually settled on a pair of generic Turbo mufflers. Just enough 'gurgle' and growl to let you (and others) know you're there, but not enough to scare their wives and kids and get their dog a howling.

Karl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/MagikDraggin/Other%20Stuff/IM000986-reduced.jpg?
1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Dan White
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I have been using the Flowmasters on my '64 GT R1 and love the sould. Nice and mellow at slow speeds and fairly quiet on the Interstate. I can't remember which model flowmasters I have. I used Silvertone for the exhaust pipes.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT