What's going on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on here?

There is a pretty little 48 Champion convertible on eBay, but everytime I click on one of the smaller pictures, I get the "Ask Seller a Question" form.

Is anyone else having this problem? Never had this happen before.

(LINK REMOVED BY THE FORUM ADMINISTRATOR)

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Scam or HIjacked....don't logged in
    JDP calls it a "mouse over" and what
    ever you click on you need to log in
    to give away your id and P/w

glen Brose
    Somewhere between Perkinsville
    and Chino Valley AZ.

Comment

Scam or HIjacked....don't logged in
      JDP calls it a "mouse over" and what
      ever you click on you need to log in
      to give away your id and P/w

glen Brose
      Somewhere between Perkinsville
      and Chino Valley AZ.

Comment

No, that's not quite correct. I tried it just now and here is my report:

If you follow the above link and then click on a photo thumbnail, you will indeed be prompted to sign in (but only if you are not already signed in to eBay). Looking at the url, I do see .eBay.com in the url, in the right place, so it is indeed at the eBay domain. Nothing suspicious here.

I then went to the main eBay website and clicked on "my eBay", which forced me to sign in.

Then I went back to that Studebaker link and clicked a thumbnail. This time, since I was already legitimately signed in to eBay, it took me to the "Ask Seller a Question" screen. Again, the ebay.com part of the url looked good. Still nothing truly suspicious.

This was just like the case of the red Lark the other day, where you click a thumbnail and land at the "Ask Seller a Question" page. So, there may be a glitch in the eBay system, or we have two sellers deliberately connecting the thumbnails to the "Ask..." page. But there appears to me to be no attempt here at hijacking a UserID and Password. The clue is always found by looking at the full url in your web browser's address window.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

No, that's not quite correct. I tried it just now and here is my report:

If you follow the above link and then click on a photo thumbnail, you will indeed be prompted to sign in (but only if you are not already signed in to eBay). Looking at the url, I do see .eBay.com in the url, in the right place, so it is indeed at the eBay domain. Nothing suspicious here.

I then went to the main eBay website and clicked on "my eBay", which forced me to sign in.

Then I went back to that Studebaker link and clicked a thumbnail. This time, since I was already legitimately signed in to eBay, it took me to the "Ask Seller a Question" screen. Again, the ebay.com part of the url looked good. Still nothing truly suspicious.

This was just like the case of the red Lark the other day, where you click a thumbnail and land at the "Ask Seller a Question" page. So, there may be a glitch in the eBay system, or we have two sellers deliberately connecting the thumbnails to the "Ask..." page. But there appears to me to be no attempt here at hijacking a UserID and Password. The clue is always found by looking at the full url in your web browser's address window.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I dunno, smells fishy to me. I tried it and it does take you to the "ask the seller a question", but says the user is registered on an Ebay from another country and might not speak your language. Ad says the car is in Georgia and last time I check, they were still part of the good old USA.

No reserve on a really sweet 48 vert? I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Comment

I dunno, smells fishy to me. I tried it and it does take you to the "ask the seller a question", but says the user is registered on an Ebay from another country and might not speak your language. Ad says the car is in Georgia and last time I check, they were still part of the good old USA.

No reserve on a really sweet 48 vert? I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Comment

I just contacted Ebay. It IS a scam[}], they are somehow redirecting the url. Ebay said they are killing the auction.

Comment

I just contacted Ebay. It IS a scam[}], they are somehow redirecting the url. Ebay said they are killing the auction.

Comment

It's a big scam and here's how you can tell. ANYWHERE on the page that you click (not just the photos, even on the white space) you are taken to the same URL, shown below:

If you examine this, it looks legit at first glance because it does indeed invoke an eBay URL. BUT... look at that third line shown above: there's a command to redirect the user to another page that is specified elsewhere in code with a placeholder. THAT's where they harvest your personal details.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It's a big scam and here's how you can tell. ANYWHERE on the page that you click (not just the photos, even on the white space) you are taken to the same URL, shown below:

If you examine this, it looks legit at first glance because it does indeed invoke an eBay URL. BUT... look at that third line shown above: there's a command to redirect the user to another page that is specified elsewhere in code with a placeholder. THAT's where they harvest your personal details.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have edited a couple of the previous posts to remove live links to the scam auction and its linked page.

PLEASE do not post live clickable links to known spam or scam pages on the forum. It's great that you want to inform the forum members of these kinds of things but when there is a known scam link, please create a graphic of the link text and post that, as I did in one instance above, instead of a clickable link.

Thanks.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                        Woodbury, Minnesota
                        sigpic
                        Bob Shaw
                        Rush City, Minnesota
                        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I have edited a couple of the previous posts to remove live links to the scam auction and its linked page.

PLEASE do not post live clickable links to known spam or scam pages on the forum. It's great that you want to inform the forum members of these kinds of things but when there is a known scam link, please create a graphic of the link text and post that, as I did in one instance above, instead of a clickable link.

Thanks.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                          Woodbury, Minnesota
                          sigpic
                          Bob Shaw
                          Rush City, Minnesota
                          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

enough said.....but still there!

glen Brose