Inline 6 wooden engine crate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline 6 wooden engine crate

I have a friend of mine who is looking for an old engine crate for a six. (no engine required) I guess he wants to give it to his parents as a christmas gift. Apperantly, he found one at a local antique shop, but $185 was a little expensive. I personally don't have any, but said I would look for one. It dosen't have to be perfect, but not busted up. Does anybody have one? This is for a friend of mine that I race lawn tractors with.
    Thanks
    Chris Dresbach

Chris. Your extra engine is in a crate. Don,t know if it is Studebaker. Jim

Comment

The closest that I have is a wooden NOS radiator crate with the factory print on it. Since it's for Christmas it's free for the cost of shipping if he wants it. Doesn't weigh too much, but it's not small. Easier to hang on a garage wall!

Comment

Chris: I am assuming you want one that says STUDEBAKER on it; correct?

I would think Andy Petrass could fix you up with one from the various engine and stock moves at Studebaker International up there. (With Ed Reynolds' permission and blessing, of course; I am not suggesting anything nefarious. Your friend might expect to pay something for it in that they are not making any more of them.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Chris: I am assuming you want one that says STUDEBAKER on it; correct?

I would think Andy Petrass could fix you up with one from the various engine and stock moves at Studebaker International up there. (With Ed Reynolds' permission and blessing, of course; I am not suggesting anything nefarious. Your friend might expect to pay something for it in that they are not making any more of them.) BP

This gives rise to a whole new angle about the "engine crate." How common were wooden engine crates? Since the foundry was part of the factory complex...how were engines prepared for transport to assembly? Did other assembly operations have foundry operations? If not, were engines shipped in individual containers? I can understand wooden crates for replacement engines prepared for shipment to dealers and garages, but how were they handled for assembly operations.

I have been a Studebaker fan and owner for over 35 years and never gave the subject any thought.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Chris, go to that antique store with a tapemeasure, paper and a pencil and sketch up the crate (may as well snap a photo of it with your phone too). Next, use your AutoCAD experience and draw it to scale. Then, take the AutoCAD drawing to woodshop class and make some reproduction engine crates!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The crate he is looking for would have no real pourpose other than for a decoration. Barnlark, let me know how much shipping is and I will take it. The crates are one of those things that I could easilly build in shop, but he wants an original.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

I know Jim... I really need to move that.
                John, to aswer your question, no the engines were not crated upon leaving the foundry. They were just rough castings, so they were loaded on rail cars at the west wall rail dock and went about 100 yards into the maching shop (bld. 72) next door.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

There was somebody at York a year or two ago that had one of the those crates w/ what seemed to be an original engine in it. I had a guy give me one of those crates a while back. It is a project waiting to be taken care of I figure it will make a great coffee table especially with the Champion block I have in the shop painted up and put under glass.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I have seen a few crates, and have a South Bend V8 one myself. I use it to store NOS Studebaker parts. Mine is in sad shape, but I'll never part with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X