A. & M. Garage, Inc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A. & M. Garage, Inc

Cleaning out the garage today i found a coupla of old receipts from one of my old reliable parts/service places from way back when i lived in New Jersey . . And of course now in the future with these helpful places gone i find myself doing all the work myself . Which is why the wheels are spinning mighty slow in the keeping the car going department . Ah yes ; The good ole days ...........
    If back then i knew there was going to be a Studebaker website on the internet "which wasnt around yet" .
    I would have taken a bunch of pics of the 38 cruzing the streets of the Bronx -- Which was not the place you wanna be at that time . But lots of fun ....................................

My biggest regret is that I never got to meet the famous Tony Caralla. He was quite a legend in the Bronx.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It has been said, and proven several times, that if you gave Tony a part NAME, he could give you the Studebaker part number, FROM MEMORY!!! stupak

Comment

Thanks for those photos.... I had face time with Tony. He was a friend to everyone and really knew his stuff. My old "57H-K7" received some help from him. You'd be surprised how late he would work each night. During my younger years in Woodlawn, there were bus routes to get there or you could walk up to White Plains Road and take the 3rd Ave "El" to Fordham Road. Today, the "El" is gone, the buses sport different numbers and I probably still owe him some money.. R.I.P Tony...
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The memory mention is true.Back in the day I phoned to order parts for a 51 convertible & 39 President hearse I was doing at the time.I inquired about several items I wanted & each time I mentioned one he followed with a part #.He even had a NOS clock for the President glove box door at prices close to give away or so it seems now.
          I finally met him at York a few years latter & after I told him who I was he told me my address.Simply amazing & a nice man to boot !I believe his daughter took over the business after he passed but has since sold it.Too bad another chapter in Studebaker lore has come to an end.

Comment

Tony, indeed, was a very nice man and a true gentleman. I remember watching him climb up the rafters to retrieve a part. He knew exactly where the part was hanging. Dealing with his daughter, Louise, was also a pleasure.
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Heres a video of Tony if you havent seen it yet . . .

Comment

That's good stuff. Thanks for posting the link.

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                  It has been said, and proven several times, that if you gave Tony a part NAME, he could give you the Studebaker part number, FROM MEMORY!!! stupak
                  The one and only time I ever met Tony was when I was vending at York. He came up to my table and starting quoting the part numbers and applications for virtually everything I had on display- blew me away.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What happened to the inventory when she sold it?

Comment

I was also fortunate to have also met Tony at various national meets. You could pick up a part and he knew the part number. I was looking for a front motor mount years ago for my 47 Champion. This was before they started reproducing them and they were not easy to find, this is alo before we had the internet. I called Tony, he said he did not have any left but had one from a Kaiser which would work just fine if I drilled out the mounting holes slightly. It came in the mail a few days later and I was able to reinstall the engine in the car. He sent the part with the bill enclosed and I returned the payment to him. This was in the early 1970's. He knew his parts better than anyone else I have ever met.
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thank you for that terrific video. I'm amazed that you even had access to it. I appreciated seeing Tony.
                        Rog
                        Smithtown,NY

Comment

Thank you for that neat video. How on earth did you find it? I really enjoyed seeing Tony.
                          Rog
                          Smithtown,NY

Comment

I believe Bill Glass gave me access to an NBC news clip and I morphed the file into an MPG..
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                              I believe Bill Glass gave me access to an NBC news clip and I morphed the file into an MPG..
                              YES : I searched my home Hi and Low hoping i had taken a picture at Tonys Garage , but no .. so dabbling on the internet for a picture of Tony i stumbled on this great video of Tony on Bobs Website . . thanks ......
                              And of course once again Tony was the best guy i knew for parts and service for my 38 . . ( thumbs up smiley here ) .

Comment

Working...
                              X