getting ready to go down under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting ready to go down under

Here we have a total rust free 1956 Sky hawk getting some parts installed and ready to travel, today a full flow 1964 259 engine and trans, tomorrow the rest of the items under the hood, new trunk and hood also, sending 4 down under after the first of the year.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Hey Bob, you are to busy working on that Hawk to pick up your cell, I have been trying to contact you for days, any luck on my F100 pickup?
    Regards Brian.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ
    sigpic

Comment

Where do these cars end up, I mean there seems to be no opportunity for young folks to get these cars, noticable here in Adelaide where there are no young folks in the club, seems just a rich man's dream as in those with cash can do these cars up others just miss out. OTOH maybe no young folks down here are interested in Studebaker's.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John I don't know about down there but but people do want them and I do shipping and sell to a number of people for Australia and New Zealand, it's funny how the people here in the USA are always saying wrong Coast, if it was on my Coast, when things are for sale but they don't under stand that Australia is a long ways from one coast to the other plus getting it there in the first place is a long ride some of these get there and get resold to the other coast of Australia so how many miles total before any work even starts?? Good Day to ya John and the other good people down under. later mate
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Hi John,
          there are plenty of opportunities for young people to get Studebakers in Adelaide. I bought my second car from Ray Lamming when I was 20 and I put myself into a world of pain financially to do it. I did not have the money for his car but managed to get it, by all means available. The pain never lasts too long, but where there is pain, the mind sharpens, and I ended up working two jobs and every hour available to afford that car, for a few years. I am glad I did it as I ended up in one of the top GT Hawks in Australia at 21 years of age and enjoyed driving the car many miles for quite a few years. I worked my behind off for years to afford my cars and still do. You just have to set your goal at what car you want and start workling diligently for it even when life kicks you in the head and then beats you again when you are down.

Good on you Bob. Skippies and Kiwis want good low rust and nice straight cars and a trusted source to supply them. A pity the English do not think like that. They have more people, but generally no desires other than kind words, which does not really get a restoration properly done.

Regards
          Greg
          Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
          1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
          1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
          1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
          1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
          1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Nice to hear from you Greg, will you be in the states again for another national, guess who is getting the sky hawk? here is a couple more pictures of today's work not bad of a couple old guys, just don't get as much done anymore but anything is better than nothing.

sorry about the pictures something on the lens, better one tomorrow.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Thanks Greg, I have ny car being attended to at present and hope to be driving it before long. Mechanically fine, just needs bodywork; paint; interior; etc.

Have heard of you, seem to recall you had a reputation. In any case, I just thought it sad that there don't seem to be cars for the young ones, then again, they likely want GM;Ford or Chrysler products.

I trust you're not too cold in Merrie Olde Englande.

Cheers
              John Clements

Comment

Have to agree with Bob re: his "Wrong Coast" remarks, it's likely 10,000 Miles to Australia and 26 days by sea is the quickest transhipment. You could almost push a car from California to the East Coast in that time (smile).

Cheers
                John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                  Have to agree with Bob re: his "Wrong Coast" remarks, it's likely 10,000 Miles to Australia and 26 days by sea is the quickest transhipment. You could almost push a car from California to the East Coast in that time (smile).
                  John- the difference is, there are lots of Studes all over the U.S. If I see a solid $500 Lark body, it's hard to pay $1500 shipping when chances are if I wat a while I can find one closer that's just as solid; and they don't have the roof rust and cooked interiors so common with WC cars. In my garage is a 62 Daytona that has been a Massachusetts car its whole life, yet has rock-solid floors- and was within driving distance. So they're out there.

I have bought a number of WC cars and will again. The higher the value, the less shipping hurts. And, if it's a particular car and/or you need it right now, that makes it worthwhile too.

Another thought: I wonder what it costs per-unit to ship down under. Cars go in a container, and I've never heard of one going alone- usually there's more than one per container plus it's packed with parts. I don't think Aussies ship containers until they're full. So how much does that break down to per unit? If I ship a car to me, cost is per car, not per container that I can fill up, spreading the cost per piece out.

Hope that gives you a bit of insight
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hi Bob,
                    I will make another meet at some point. My wife wants to go home to Toronto next year so I may come over, but this self employment thing I do now is a little taxing to keep the bills paid. I had the best National in Springfield in 1991 in my Packard Hawk we dressed up as a Cat fish. No national meet ever beet that one for the copious amounts of alcohol drunk and the young mans mischief Mike Myers and I got up to. I even slept with Dick Quinn for the week !!! It wont be like that if I get over as I am not as indestructable as I was back then.

There would be no guessing who's is obtaining that weapon you are diligently working on

Regards
                    Greg
                    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Bob,

OK, we're on the same coast but how come it's so hard to get parts from Hayward to Petaluma? Australia is soooo far away and Petaluma is only 65 miles. I bet UPS would bring dash pieces here for, say, $15 and I'm sure Pat would reimburse you (me too).

Regards and Merry Christmas,
                      Your Vice President
                      John Brayton
                      John Brayton

Comment

Where the hell is Petaluma?? you need to look at this stuff, you might want and need switches that are with them, no time for fooling around...here is the work for today and with out Pat's help.

Hope to take it to the shipper tomorrow, then start on the 62 GT getting it ready to go also.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

2 down and 2 to go, today we took the 53 and the 56 to the shipper, on Monday we will be taking a really nice 58 silver hawk with built engine and supercharger, after that get the really nice 62 GT ready to go.

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Working...
                          X