edelbrock 1405 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edelbrock 1405 conversion

After struggling with a WCFB I'm ready to throw in the towel and look towards Edelbrock 1405 but wonder how complicated it is. The WCFB is in a 1954 Commander hardtop with a '59 or perhaps '60 289 cu in engine (not sure of production year), but it is a 289 in a '54 car. And it looks like the carb will have to be raised just over half an inch and Mr. Gasket 98 does that, but is it that simple? Would prefer to not replace or remachine the manifold. Also the air cleaner is mounted to the right side of the motor and will there be sufficient clearance to continue using the side mont air cleaner? Failing the conversion the WCFB might have to stay in place. I would like to hear from those folks who have made such a conversion. Ken, Deltaville, Va

The WCFB continues to belch black smoke about 30 seconds of smooth run, and it is not the choke...I'm am either going to send it to Tbow or convert to Edelbrock 1405. If anyone has not get seen this before , please do so and let me know what you think especially if you have installed a 1405 on a 54 Commander, ken
    Last edited by ken-renda; 12-18-2010, 09:30 AM.

I would stick with the WCFB. If it's right it's a good carb. I think the carb you are talking about using is shorter than the wcfb, and that would leave a little room. I think there is a air horn adapter similar to the one used on the offenhauser kit, that has a larger opening than the wcfb and Stromberg. The one on mine is too small. Here's a shot of what it looks like.

Comment

I'd estimate we've had at least fifty threads here on this same subject. The latest was less than two weeks ago. Try the search function, maybe?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        I'd estimate we've had at least fifty threads here on this same subject. The latest was less than two weeks ago. Try the search function, maybe?

jack vines
        Went back several months, and while a great deal on conversions was found, did not find info regarding 289 in a 54 car so that issue remains plus I would like to hear any advice/recommendations from those who have converted.

Comment

I'd say stick with the WCFB . A quality rebuild is available from several places. A rebuild by a dedicated
          carb company includes shaft/bushings etc , as well as proper recoating of the pot metal. When its finished
          it bolts right back where it came from with no modifications required. These things worked fine when new.
          Here is one company that has been around for quite a while : http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/
          Bill H
          Daytona Beach
          SDC member since 1970
          Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Wouldn't a 1403 work better?

Comment

The mounting holes line up, but the "butterflies" do not, at least going to the
              'spread bore' type 600 series. I have not messed with the 500 series which I
              believe is a 'square bore' like the WCFB. My neighbor has a 500 for sale, I'd
              listed it on Racing Studebakers a little while back (its rebuilt even).

My experience with a WCFB was similar to yours it sounds, I rebuilt it a few
              times but it would flood when starting, flood when stopping, turning and also
              if you looked at it crosseyed. I hated that carb. I put a junk yard AFB on it
              and never looked back. Years later when I could afford a new carb, I bought
              an Edelbrock. Keep in mind the Edelbrock is simply a Carter with the 3 step
              metering rods, instead of the 2 step Studebaker used. I think in the 70s the
              airhorn grew on the Carter, which the Edelbrock kept.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I had similar WCFB problems on my 56 Hawk with a 289 , even after TBOW sent me some new parts , it still leaked and was hard to start. Granted it was 50 yrs old and rebuit only with after market kits
                I switched to a Holley (4160??) with electric choke and it has never run better
                Had to use a 1/2 spacer to adapt the bore sizes (readily available at Advance or Autozone) so the butterfyls would open fully
                Do not use the side mounter air cleaner any more , top diameter is larger than a WCFB, just used a nice chrome Holly air cleaner
                Would not go back , new carb starts right up ,and runs real strong .
                I preferred a reliable driver over a show correct car anyway
                Rick

Comment

The mounting holes line up, but the "butterflies" do not, at least going to the
                  'spread bore' type 600 series. I have not messed with the 500 series which I
                  believe is a 'square bore' like the WCFB. My neighbor has a 500 for sale, I'd
                  listed it on Racing Studebakers a little while back (its rebuilt even).
                  IIRC, the 500 CFM and 600 CFM use the same mounting pattern and throttle butterflies. The only difference is in the primary venturi diameters and the jetting.

If one follows all the threads here over the years, there are about as many having difficulties of one sort and another with Edelbrock, AFBs and WCFBs.

What is difficult to understand is why it is somehow easier to invest $300-400 in a new Edelbrock carb, adapter, air filter, fuel line mods, throttle linkage mods, manifold mods, sometimes extensive tuning labor, but it somehow hurts too much to pay a professional shop the same $300-400 to remanufacture the WCFB.

As always, the above just an observation. Your car, your money, your decision.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

I am looking to do the same thing with a #1406. What intake can I get? As my 289 curently has a 2 bbl.
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Part of the unanswered question is will the 1406 fit under the hood of a '54 CK. No one has addressed this. I cannot.

My experience with T-Bow rebuilding my WCFB has been excellent. He told me that my carb was the worst he had ever rebuilt, (28 years as a animal nest under the hood). It works perfectly, except in cold weather, needs longer to warm up, but I have the heat passage blocked.

Comment

IIRC, the 500 CFM and 600 CFM use the same mounting pattern and throttle butterflies. The only difference is in the primary venturi diameters and the jetting.

If one follows all the threads here over the years, there are about as many having difficulties of one sort and another with Edelbrock, AFBs and WCFBs.

What is difficult to understand is why it is somehow easier to invest $300-400 in a new Edelbrock carb, adapter, air filter, fuel line mods, throttle linkage mods, manifold mods, sometimes extensive tuning labor, but it somehow hurts too much to pay a professional shop the same $300-400 to remanufacture the WCFB.

As always, the above just an observation. Your car, your money, your decision.

jack vines
                        Jack, for my part I have several hawk type studes from 54 to 63 all with original carbs and I would keep them orignal except I'm tiring of the continuum or carb problems. I have gone the route of professional rebuild and problems soon return and in my case I travel on narrow country roads often without shoulders and would not like have the car fail in this circumstance so I often go overboard on repairs/replacemnts etc. As you point out, there has been alot of discussion on this issue which indicates others are having old carb problems that may be deeper than merely having a professional rebuild it again. Ken, Deltaville Va

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                          Part of the unanswered question is will the 1406 fit under the hood of a '54 CK. No one has addressed this. I cannot.

My experience with T-Bow rebuilding my WCFB has been excellent. He told me that my carb was the worst he had ever rebuilt, (28 years as a animal nest under the hood). It works perfectly, except in cold weather, needs longer to warm up, but I have the heat passage blocked.
                          My wifes car will have the 289 in it with a 56 Hawk hood. So clearance shouldn't be a problem. My 56 has a 53 hood on it so what you are saying is I had better bolt the carb and air cleaner on my SB Chev "BEFORE" I finalize the new motor mounts???
                          Thanks
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I was under the impression the 500 had all the same size bores, and the 600 had
                            larger secondaries. I have my neighbors 500 cfm now so I can compare, too busy
                            putting up a Christmas tree to make the wife happy, so I havent done that yet.

Here is a picture supposedly showing a 400 cfm on the left and a 500 cfm on right.

So perhaps you are right. I didnt know there WAS a 400 cfm, so its very possible
                            the carb I saw was a 400 and not a 500. I thought the 500 were all small, the 600
                            was larger secondary, and the 700 was all large.

Tom
                            Last edited by sbca96; 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM.
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I don't think edelbrock makes a 400cfm. They were available as Carter aftermarket. It has a smaller secondary but primary bore is the same 500-625 after market version though it uses a smaller venturi in the primary. This probably the most desirable for a street engine but rarer than any other version.

Comment

Working...
                              X