Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Termite's delight. Would you have bought one of these in 1950?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termite's delight. Would you have bought one of these in 1950?

Comments welcome.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Yes! I want one right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
      Ah yes, the 1950 Commander station wagon styling study! I've always like that one. Too bad they didn't produce it.

Craig

Comment

I WISH I had

Comment

I like it. There was a guy in OR that has produced a Champ version of this. It was on ebay, I don't have a picture of it, but wish I did. Wonder where it is now.

Mark

Comment

Make mine a '51 or '52 Commander- with only two doors- and then we can talk!!!

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
            I like it. There was a guy in OR that has produced a Champ version of this. It was on ebay, I don't have a picture of it, but wish I did. Wonder where it is now. Mark
            There was (a rodded) one at the 2004 Pacific Can-AM Zone Meet. I remember it being from Washington State. Could that maybe be the one you mean? There are pictures of it around here somewhere...
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi

Yes, but only if it were all-steel with wood trim or at least faux wood trim. Station wagons were an emerging market with immense growth those years. Remember, the suburbs were exploding and the station wagon was just the car for all those new suburbanites. Overall station wagon sales doubled between 1950 and 1954, then doubled again by 1957.

Steve

Comment

I wonder if you could take a wagon body from a brand x and make a 50 commander wagon? Also on this I see 50 commander headlights and bumpers but a 50 champion hood ornament . I think it would even be cool to have one without the wood trim.

Dick, do you have any more pictures of this? (like a rear end shot??) Thanks
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                  Hi

Yes, but only if it were all-steel with wood trim or at least faux wood trim. Station wagons were an emerging market with immense growth those years. Remember, the suburbs were exploding and the station wagon was just the car for all those new suburbanites. Overall station wagon sales doubled between 1950 and 1954, then doubled again by 1957.

Steve
                  Of course, there is always the very dated joke applied to all woodie vehicles, regardless of brand, real, or fake wood...
                  "Hey! It will look better once you finish taking it out of the crate!"

Personally, I think that it would have been a great family car and a very good utilitarian multipurpose vehicle for farmers and the old general store delivery wagon back in the day when those type of stores made deliveries.

As far as fake wood goes...nothing looked worse than those fake wood decals slathered on the sides of some of the huge station wagons of the seventies and the Chrysler products of the eighties began to weather crack, fade, and flake off. Those cars looked OK when new but did not age well at all.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Pretty darned sweet if you ask me. Nothing wrong with real wood if you stripped it and varnished every few years. Looks like sliding rear windows for third seat passengers. The '50 Commander was a great ride and, if this was on a Land Cruiser chassis, so much the better.
                    That said, I've always felt the '50 bumpers looked more encumbering than the '51.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I like it.

Comment

I'd buy one today, as long as its a 1950 4 door Commander on the Land Cruiser chassis, with 60/40 split bench front bench armchairs, (underseat) heated with leather, and factory trailer hitch. The two door wagons should have been Champion sixes, although with an optional V8 starting in 1951.

Comment

I'd probably want to lose the shag headliner; it looks distracting. Anyone else notice how the front end / grille area is "squished" to a profile considerably lower than a production 1950 Commander? An interesting study! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sorry, but this is the only angle I have. I am thinking that this is a 1/4 scale and not a full sized car. Look for some clues and decide for yourself.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I found this picture of a Champion. Must be fairly recent.

Mark
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X