Anyone built an Indy car replica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone built an Indy car replica?

Every once in a while, some guy offers a set of plans on Ebay for building an Indy-style car based on using a late-20's to early 30's chassis and engine. The plans are apparently copies of an original set from the 1930's or '40's. Has anyone ever built one of these or looked into what it would take to do this? I can imagine a 245 cu in Commander 6 on some kind of old Stude chassis with an open-wheel body. The sheet metal couldn't be that tough to make. Now THAT would be an interesting project car!

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard

I would bet with a bit of deep encouragement the only ones who could make it would be Tom and Dave Shrock.

Have you seen the Tommy Hawk?

BG

Comment

I would bet with a bit of deep encouragement the only ones who could make it would be Tom and Dave Shrock.

Have you seen the Tommy Hawk?

BG

Comment

One of our late members (Jim Haupt) has an engineer son who helped restore some of the Indy Studes, and also built a replica racer as I understand. Don't know any contact info for him, unfortunately.

Personally, if I ever win a lottery I'd like very much to build a faux Studebaker Indy racer for my own enjoyment. I love the look of open-wheel racers of that era.

Chris Pile
        The Studebaker Special
        Midway Chapter SDC
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

One of our late members (Jim Haupt) has an engineer son who helped restore some of the Indy Studes, and also built a replica racer as I understand. Don't know any contact info for him, unfortunately.

Personally, if I ever win a lottery I'd like very much to build a faux Studebaker Indy racer for my own enjoyment. I love the look of open-wheel racers of that era.

Chris Pile
          The Studebaker Special
          Midway Chapter SDC
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

There's this thing here that's a little like those eBay plans. I've seen this car in person, and it's built on a 1916 frame with a 1918 Big 6 engine. The body is all hand formed.

However, if you were to build a clone of an actual Stude Indy car, the engine would have to be a straight 8 with 4 single barrel carbs... [8D]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, Georgia
            '59 Scotsman PU
            '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

There's this thing here that's a little like those eBay plans. I've seen this car in person, and it's built on a 1916 frame with a 1918 Big 6 engine. The body is all hand formed.

However, if you were to build a clone of an actual Stude Indy car, the engine would have to be a straight 8 with 4 single barrel carbs... [8D]

Matthew Burnette
              Hazlehurst, Georgia
              '59 Scotsman PU
              '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Those Indy car bodies are a tight fit for two people. Many years ago, Asa Hall and I got into one and we were both slim.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Those Indy car bodies are a tight fit for two people. Many years ago, Asa Hall and I got into one and we were both slim.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here is a picture from the plans, as shown on Ebay.

Locally, Bob Valpey has one of the real Indy cars in NH. I wasn't thinking about creating a true replica of one of those, just an interesting car that might be possible to register as a 1930s Studebaker. A friend of mine created a replica of a 1938 Mercedes roadster for hill climbs using an original chassis, engine block, and front end, but with a new hand-formed body and rear fenders from aluminum panels.

Gary Ash
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Here is a picture from the plans, as shown on Ebay.

Locally, Bob Valpey has one of the real Indy cars in NH. I wasn't thinking about creating a true replica of one of those, just an interesting car that might be possible to register as a 1930s Studebaker. A friend of mine created a replica of a 1938 Mercedes roadster for hill climbs using an original chassis, engine block, and front end, but with a new hand-formed body and rear fenders from aluminum panels.

Gary Ash
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Working...
                      X