Fonty Flock and '53/4 Coiupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fonty Flock and '53/4 Coiupe

I had never heard that Fonty Flock ever drove a Studebaker. This is a modified Studebaker, but still a Studebaker. I found this over on the H.A.M.B. this evening.

The explanation of the picture on the H.A.M.B. post is as follows: " this is the Golden 33 built for J. P. Rotton (my uncle) by Hugh Babb. J.P. was the race promoter. That is the builder Hugh Babb and sometime driver, Fonty Flock. The car had a front mounted blower on a Packard engine. The engine was placed just about in the middle of the car. It was a screamer." The "my" in the above refers to the person who posted the picture. I personally would love to see a picture of the engine in that coupe.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Ooooooo...someone needs to replicate that...either in 1:1 or 1:18! I'd heard about Frank "Rebel" Mundy and his '51 Commander Starlight that actually took a win or two, but never an inkling of this one, and with one of the real titans of early NASCAR at the wheel to boot...

Here's another modified C-body racer, seen this past summer in northwestern Ontario. Same team had also campaigned a '63 Lark hardtop. More recently they ran Subarus! Clearly they like their racers different.

S.

Comment

What is going on with those wheels? I don't think I have ever seen wheels on a race car with that kind of lug spacing?
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

In answer to the question on the lug pattern. This is what is known as "Wide Five", which was the standard pattern for Ford passenger cars from 1936-1939. It was adopted by the oval track racers years ago, and is still in use today.
        I suspect the reason for them adopting this was because with such a spread on the lugs, the wheels would not be so prone to crack as a result of the side loads encountered on the oval tracks.
        I hope this answer your question.
        Tom T

Comment

Two connections, with me, 1-Studebaker 2-my mothers maiden name was Babb., but probably not kin.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I remember seeing "Fonty" race as a kid at Bowman Gray in Winston-Salem NC. Never saw this car, but great Pic.

Comment

And I think that is the same pattern used on VW Beetles right up to about 1967. I had a 16" rim once on one of my Beetles that I suspect was a pre-war Ford rim.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Frankland saftey hubs made the wide 5 popular. 3/4 ton truck parts were used to have much stronger spindles and rear ends. The wide 5 was adapted to prevent breaking wheel centers.
                Studebaker coupes were so popular at the spring Daytona Modified race that Nascar rule changed them out .(Engine must be same as body)They were dominant at the super speedway.

Comment

Working...
                X