Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inner Fender Repair on 1963 Avanti- results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner Fender Repair on 1963 Avanti- results!

All-

Last week I posted a question about "repair or replace" a badly damaged Avanti Inner-fender apron. Many of you were kind enough to answer. Enough of you encouraged me to try to fix the original one that I gave the repair a try. "After all," someone suggested, "if you don't like the result you can always replace it afterwards anyway."

I thought you all might like to see the step-by-step repair, and the final result. I am glad I tried it and am happy with the way it turned out. Thank you all for your kind encouragement!

Click on this link to see:

My best, Bill Henderson

WOW !!!...I'll bet you're glad you did.

Comment

Nice! If you have time, come and do mine.

Comment

Bill

Nicely done, and I'll bet it was less work than replacing the entire inner fender and no locating problems. When I did mine I didn't use filler but just ground down a couple of layers of resin. Your's looks better.

Bob

Comment

Excellent work, just excellent. Your a craftsman. Luckily for me there was only a dime size hole in my '64 and it was easily repaired.
          Dennis

Comment

Nice work Bill.
            Adamsavanti please check your PM I replied to you some time ago but haven't heard back. Do you still want the picture? PM me.

Comment

My Dad & his father have always said "anything worth doing is worth doing well." You have lived up to that big time there Bill. As a side note, have you also installed the apron reinforcement? I'm not positive but I think there is one that gives extra support there especially with the weight of the 3EE battery.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you all for your kind comments. I will also install the inner-fender brace. That battery is very heavy and it is easy to see how the damage happened in the first place. Besides that, the hood support is mounted to this panel as well, and opening the hood to full height caused the fender to bow under the stress as well.

I am glad that this forum exists so we can share information, and that you are all so willing to help.

Bill Henderson

Comment

Very nice work, Bill, and nicely documented, too. Only downside, it's so nice that it will probably make the factory finish on the other inner fender look shabby!
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    Very nice work, Bill, and nicely documented, too. Only downside, it's so nice that it will probably make the factory finish on the other inner fender look shabby!
                    Gord- you know, I absolutely thought of that... and I know I am going to end up skim coating and sanding the rest of the underhood area. This was not a project I had planned, but if I don't to it I can just see myself being bothered by it for the next ten years. Maybe I need some therapy instead of additional bodywork skills.

Comment

Working...
                    X