Gas with ethanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas with ethanol

My Sky Hawk with the 4-barrel 289 stalls when hot. I've been told it's because the ethanol in the fuel evaporates. I can't find any place which sells ethanol-free fuel, except airplane facilities. Any suggestions?
    peter lee

Best bet, as suggested in a lot of previous posts, electric fuel pump for start only.

Bob

Comment

Personally, I don't think it's the ethanol. It sounds more to me like a carburetor problem.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I'd >>start<< by increasing the idle speed a bit to prevent the hot stall, then setting each of the idle mixture screws when hot, then reset the idle speed as appropriate for the transmission. Sometimes I have to go back and forth a few times between idle rpm and mixture.

The idle speed and mixture adjustment was part of spring and fall "tune up" back when it used to be a "tune up" included dozens of things like tightening head bolts(cap screws!?) and manifold and carb bolts, valve adjustment checking point spring pressure and "resistance" and fuel pump pressure, battery terminal cleanliness (I prefer voltage drop when cranking).

Comment

Peter, Thought it might helps you to find ethanol-free gas stations in your city.

Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

Steven

Comment

Non alcohol gas is getting harder and harder to find especially in or near large metropolitan areas since the EPA has mandated alcohol now be used in place of the additive MTBE which they determined was contaminating ground water. I imagine that at some point non alcolhol gas will be outlawed everywhere. So far here in the middle of the country we still have a choice. In our next door neighbor state of Iowa ( a big corn growing state) it is really getting hard to find pure gas too.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Even NASCAR is going to gas with ethanol in it. I wonder if they use electric fuel pumps? I know they are testing fuel injection, so it may soon be a dead issue for them.

Comment

I think high test Shell is ethanol free and Sunoco is completely ethanol free.
                Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

Sunoco pulled out of our area long ago but yes Shell still has alcohol free Premium. At least in my State the pumps have to have a sticker on them to indicate that the fuel has alcohol which makes it easier for me to fuel my Studebakers. Now I noticed that one station across the river in Iowa (Pilot) now only has 87 and 89 octane, no more premium. Wonder what that is an indication of? Maybe they will replace premium with E-85, who knows.
                  Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

This is only true in rural areas. In metropolitan areas that don't meet air pollution standards, ethanol-spiked gas is mandated by the EPA. regardless of brand. Some oil companies chose to sell the oxygenated fuels in non-required areas to simplify their distribution network. This is why you are somewhat more likely to find pure gas at unbranded stations in rural areas.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

All the Shell branded stations here in the OKC area include ethanol, even in their 91 octane premium. There are several Phillips66 stations, Valero and our even our local Walmart (Murphy Oil) selling 100% gasoline for all their grades of gasoline.
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Go to a small airport and get a little avgas and see if that helps. Aviation fuel at this point does not have ethanol in it. It is higher octane also.
                        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                          Even NASCAR is going to gas with ethanol in it. I wonder if they use electric fuel pumps? I know they are testing fuel injection, so it may soon be a dead issue for them.
                          NASCAR already uses a rear mounted pump. It is mechanical, but it mounted in the rear and is driven by a flexible shaft from the front. This gives them a pusher pump without electricity.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not the case anywhere near here.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

nascars reason is mainly safety, cable driven off the engine. fail safe way to kill the fuel press when the engine dies. NASCAR supposed to be going to fuel injection too, that should give a little area to cheat until the officials get caught up on it.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              NASCAR already uses a rear mounted pump. It is mechanical, but it mounted in the rear and is driven by a flexible shaft from the front. This gives them a pusher pump without electricity.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                              57 SH (project)
                              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
                              X