Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about the barn find GH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about the barn find GH?

Good discussion in the other thread on the rough yet intriguing GH below:

Although it's rough, I was quite taken by its completeness and being a GH, I feel it's definitely worth a quality restoration. Some think it's too far gone to be worth saving, GH or not. Both views can make a case here.

So since the forum has a 'poll' feature, I thought it might be fun to do one, just for the halibut

The Question:

What do YOU think would be the best use of this car?

1. Ground-up restoration

2. Part it out- that SC would be a nice piece for any number of better cars

3. Buy it and store it complete as an investment

I am not interested in any of the above, just thought it might be a fun poll. For discussion purposes only<G>
    Ground-up restoration
    75.28%
    Part it out
    15.73%
    Store away complete as an investment
    8.99%
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM. Reason: Take 'POLL' out of title
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

You're so excited! That's a good thing!

When you do a poll, you write and post the thread, selecting the 'poll' option. Then, after the posting, you're taken to the portion where you fill in the poll. I needed the two minutes to do it, and you beat me to it

And please, only one vote per person- on the Honor System.

Or not, it's not going to change anybody's life one way or t'other
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Jeff, it appears at the top of the thread on my screen.

Comment

I must have looked too soon, as it wasn't there when i replied..
        I deleted my queries, and my snappy responses.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Bob

Let's not forget option 1A (Or whatever # fits)-Rebuilt Driver

To (RESTORE!!) the car is a money pit that would rival a large yacht. While some on the forum may have the $ and desire to do it, I'd bet they would pass and start with a better candidate. That leaves quite a few of us (I'm not counting the Bezhawks, Woody's Rods etc. on the forum that actually do this for a living) that could make an acceptable driver out of it. A lot of us have started with worse and built decent rides.

That makes more sense to me based on the condition of the vehicle and it saves it for posterity when Studebakers may be worth enough to actually restore.

JMO

Bob

Comment

With the right skills and equipmant anything can be done on a low budget. Who says the car has to be restored to stock?
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

I've seen a few examples of "nice now" GH which started off in worse shape. Even if everything needs to be re-done, it all seems to be there, more or less

Comment

It would cost a fortune, but would be worth it.
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I'd definitely do it. I'm chasing a G.H, and I'd call it a blessing from the Lord if it was that nice rust wise (It's going to be a big blessing if I get it anyways!)
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Very cool. If you haven't voted, please do. Comments are welcome as always!
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I, too, am partial to that color--even as faded as it is! Sometimes it seems like the only color for a '57 GH was...gold!
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Bob

Let's not forget option 1A (Or whatever # fits)-Rebuilt Driver

That makes more sense to me based on the condition of the vehicle and it saves it for posterity when Studebakers may be worth enough to actually restore.
                        That is a good option. If it was possible I would add it. Still, I think the three choices are pretty complete in this instance. I'll remember this if I ever post another poll
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          I, too, am partial to that color--even as faded as it is! Sometimes it seems like the only color for a '57 GH was...gold!
                          Frankly, gold doesn't thrill me on these cars. Looking at the video, that red seems to be primer; but it's a great shade for that body style anyway.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

This is just me, but I think you'd be dollars ahead using the Ebay car for parts and buying a good west coast shell and moving everything over. No telling how rusty that thing is underneath.

Comment

Time and lots of money; restoring that car would be a major undertaking; Been there done that, like a lot of you.

Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X