Need some info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some info please

Well first off I would like to say hello, my name is josh and live in the great state of Ohio lol. Ive been customizing newer model cars for 10 years now and do paint and body work on the side in my garage. Ive been in love with cars since I was a teen and it continues to be a big part of my life now which leads into my story and what I need help with.

My grandparents have a really old Studebaker stored away and i am trying to find out what it is exactly cuz i am having trouble getting any sort of info on the net about it. My grandpa acquired it after the war and it actually was up and driving till about 10 yrs ago, some sort of fuel problem I believe. My grandpa passed away about 3 years ago and I never got to ask him about or dig into what it was exactly and so on. I tried to talk to my grandma a couple times but she doesnt really know/remember much these days. My uncle has talked to me recently about restoring it with him so I am tryn to learn all I can about this style of truck. Any and all info I can get is greatly appreciated. Also I am really sorry for the crappy pics from my phone, last time I was there I forgot my camera and there is some stuff on and in the way of it to get a clear shot.

J, it is really not all THAT ancient! Not to most of us anyway, it is a '41 to '48 Studebaker Truck known as an M Series, it is likely a 1 Ton or 1 1/2 Ton Truck and could have either a Champion small Six 169 c.i.d. or a 226 Commander Big 6, both Flatheads.

You will find the Serial Number Plate below the Seat on the floor, Driver's side visible with the door open.
    This will tell us which M Series Truck it is and the Engine size. The Serial Number will indicate it's Year of Mfg.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Love the cutter and both the buckboard seats... Hang on to those!
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh!!! Cool sleigh on the flat bed there!
        Welcome to the Studebaker disease.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Looks to be a 47-48 M15; earlier models had a smaller bumper that was chromed. Engine should be a 169 C.I. Flathead 6. I could be mistaken, but I think the serial number plate is on the outside of the frame rail, just in front of the drivers' side front tire. (It's just below the battery tray, and battery acid has ruined a lot of serial plates on these trucks).

Most parts are available and these trucks have a strong following. You might want to check out the Studebaker Truck Forum.

Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Welcome, and good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. My Grandpa has some pretty interesting stuff in his barns that is in really good shape still. He has an old carriage buggy that looks to be from a wealthier family with all the stuff on it and the way it was made. As far as the truck is concerned everything is intact and in really good shape from just sitting in the barn for 30+ yrs. Im hoping my uncles and I will be able to tear into next year

Comment

Looks promising. 'Don't let it get away. 'Hope you and your uncle can restore it; M-series trucks have a charm all their own.
              Stay in touch here. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I def will keep everyone updated and im sure if we get into it then ill be in here bugging everyone with questions lol. Something else I wanted to ask, are these style trucks rare? I know someone said they make reproduction parts and whatnot but I mean were alot of these made and still around? Just kinda curious as to if this is something out of the ordinary or pretty common?

Comment

I wouldn't say pretty common but over the past ten years or so they have developed a great deal of desirability. More and more of them are coming out of obscurity.
                  Do yourself a big favor and procure the Parts Catalog and Shop Manual from one of our Studebaker vendors.

You would probably also enjoy the monthly magazine TURNING WHEELS, which you will receive as a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club.
                  Join here for $19.95.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Check out those buggies to see if any of them are Studebakers. You may have a goldmine there. What a find!!

Comment

Josh,

I just bought a M15-20 flatbed very similar to yours. Looks like it is in great shape!
                      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                      See rescue progress here on this blog:
                      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X