Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to look at one today - here we go again...or not :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to look at one today - here we go again...or not :)

This morning am heading over to Redlands to take a peek at a 59 4 door that's been posted on craigs list for a while. Here's the cl post.

Its only about an hour away from home, will be taking several pictures whether I choose to buy it or not. In the back of my mind I'm thinking...do I really want to do this again. Guess I have a softspot for the 59s. Its supposed to be a v8 automatic. When I talked to the seller, he stated that the car was driven by its former owner till his passing in the late 90s. His widow never drove it and has since passed. This is the last car in the estate to be sold. I'll post the pictures later today.
    Last edited by 63larkcustom; 12-07-2010, 03:30 PM.

Good luck, Bob! Keep us filled in!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Clark if you drive real fast you can beat him up there.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

It was a mixed bag.. not sure whether to bite or not. The roof had a vinyltop that deteriorated and the roof is rusty. Several places felt thin. Is there an easy fix or does the metal have to be cut out and rewelded? The floors are very solid and show the original tahiti coral color. The car was last driven in 1997. I spun the crank, the motor is not seized. no rust under the car either.. The only hesitation I have is with the roof. Any suggestions?
        Attached Files

Comment

For some reason this comes to mind.

Comment

OK Car, BAD Roof!

Bob; I see that it is actually a Regal 4 Dr., so it WAS a nice car, before the Vinyl Roof and rust issue.
            Did you check the serial Number to see if it was really a '59V, V-8 Car or just another Lark VI with a '63 V-8 stuffed in?

That roof is DONE, and needs to be completely cut out by drilling out all of the spot welds through the rain gutter, roof panel and the inside support structure to replace the roof panel, it CAN be done, but will involve some work that you WILL have to hire a good body Tech. to do, at what $$$ cost?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

its a 59v car and the rest of the car is solid..that roof would cost some major bucks i'm sure to replace. Its beyond my skills or desire.

Comment

If the roof is that bad...anyone have a skytop kit laying around?
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have a parts car with a good roof you can have. If you want it, its yours-just I dont want to remove it.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

ok..let me put this out there.. is there anyone in socal with the skill to do the work and if so.. how pricey?

Comment

Why not sand it down, POR it & fiberglass it, sand it again, and put another vinyl top on it??? I like vinyl tops.....
                      Mike Sal

Comment

Topless Larks

Here is one of my Son Mike's cars, a '59 Hardtop that donated it's roof to another Lark in the same condition as the Redlands Lark AND for EXACTLY the same reason, a prior bad Vinyl Roof job!

Last edited by StudeRich; 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mike Sal's got a plan. Nowhere near the right way to do it, but it would probably last a couple years; you'd just have to redo it occasionally.

Maybe Jim Turner or Woody or one of our other body techs can chime in with what a regular body shop might charge for a re-skin. I haven't done one in years, but I would guess a good 20 hours just to R&R; and that may not include prepping the replacement piece.

One thought: You might consider tackling most of the work yourself. Most of it is basic but time-consuming.

You could remove the front and rear glass, headliner, and seats.
                          Tear off the vinyl and scrape off any loose scale, and vacuum everything.
                          Get your donor top; usually just torched off a few inches down the pillars.
                          Take it home and get yourself a spot weld cutter (drill type).
                          Set yourself up with a stool and beverage, and get to work cleaning all the seams for the skin.
                          Then, locate and drill out the spot welds, one by one, until the panel is free.
                          Now go back to the car and do the same, removing the rusted skin.

With that done, any body shop could fit, weld, seal, and paint the top for pretty cheap. Then you could take it home and have a mobile glass company reinstall the windows for you. Then reassemble the interior.

Whether you want to get into that, along with everything else it needs, is up to you. We know you're certainly handy enough to do it. The fitting/welding is tricky, and should be done by a pro. But you can save hundreds, maybe thousands, doing the rest yourself. Would I go to the trouble for that car? Absolutely. YMMV
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm thinking about saving the car.. and since its not daily transport take my sweet time with it and do it right. The thing that is really amusing about the whole thing.. another Tahiti Coral car.... i'm having two thought processes... do the Mike Sal approach, give it a lark shine as the paint is pretty decent..get it running, driving stopping.. throw a set of jdp seat covers/carpet in it and use it as a runaround car. It is a 4 door, so obviously a lot of money should not be spent... or since I have a brand x, just go very slow and do it right. There is only one other interested party in the car and he wants it for parts. I got the whole story on the car. The former owner was a professor at redlands university.. he drove the car home from school.. parked it and passed away that night. The car has not moved from the spot he parked it in under a tree in the front yard. I told the owner that if it comes down to the parts guy buying it, to call me and we'll work something out so that either I will tuck it in the garage till it finds a good home or I dig in and fix it.

Comment

Bob don't be a fool on this one with your past luck it might just get worse, is the engine a good one or don't you know any thing about it? you don't need another $800.00 car look more and find a better one ,the 63 2 door is still sitting here waiting for you to fly in, owner can be worked with on the price...Bob
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X