Christmas Fact #13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Fact #13

Misletoe was held in very high esteem by the Celtics, the Druids and my older brother Paul.

The mistletoe grew in the tallest trees and my brother harvested it with a Remington full choke 12 gauge shotgun. Apparently there is no hunting season for mistletoe.
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

I'm enjoying your Christmas fact series. Keep them coming.
    Thank you.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Don't mean to brag, but we also hunted our misletoe with a Remington...bolt action 22.

I have a plum-tree in my yard that I am going to have to cut down. You know it is really dead when the misletoe that was living in it dies too!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Don't mean to brag, but we also hunted our misletoe with a Remington...bolt action 22.

I have a plum-tree in my yard that I am going to have to cut down. You know it is really dead when the misletoe that was living in it dies too!
        My dad used to shoot it out of trees with a Colt Woodsman .22 semi-automatic pistol.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My granddad shoots it out of a tree almost every year. Can't say for sure what type of gun he uses.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            My granddad shoots it out of a tree almost every year. Can't say for sure what type of gun he uses.
            That's my son that shoots it down. Usually with a .22 rifle. I usually climb the tree and drop it to Grandaughter Sabrina. I'm getting a little too old to be climbing trees. Each year Sabrina says she will climb it next year. She is almost 18 and I haven't got her up a tree yet.

When she was 5 she asked "What if you fall out of the tree and get hurt?" I told her if that happened, she was to go get help. she replied franticlly"I CAN'T DRIVE THAT TRUCK!" So I told to just run down the little road through the woods and get her Uncle Flint. She said "OK I can do that."

So far, I haven't fallen.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm glad we are not bragging here.

My Dad was the Indiana State shooting champion in his day and could repeatedly put five 22 's in a dime size target , open sights, no bench rest.
              He taught my brother and me to handle a 22 very, very well. (Anyone need an bullet split on an axe blade to light two matches?

Face it:
              A bringing down mistletoe with a 22 isn't nearly as funny (my opinion) as with a twelve gauge shotgun. I know which the Celtics an Druids would have preferred. Funny guys -- and funny is what we go for most of the time.

Our ground was adjacent to the Hoosier National forest. Protected land -- federal law, tree cutting forbidden (except for an overlooked occasional Christmas tree). Those oaks and beeches had NEVER been cut since the flatland glacier stopped. They are immense and I would gladly trespass to watch you nimrods with open sights shoot down mistle toe. Tree climbers welcome -- bring oxygen.

As an aside story, Chuck Norris was raised on the farm next to us and could bring down the mistletoe with a round house kick to the tree, or if he was feeling lazy he would just point his finger at the tree top and say "BANG". Eventually I learned to do that with an unloaded Roy Rogers cap gun.
              Last edited by Lark Parker; 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM. Reason: grammar
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

All very interesting. I don't know what I'd use, since I've never seen it in the wild. Or if I had, I wouldn't have known.

To date, my weapon of choice has bee a thumb and index finger to pull the little bag off the rack at Wal-Mart. Just open the bag, affix to belt buckle with bread bag tie before Christmas party, and Bingo- instant life of the party!

At least, I thought so...
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                X