PDA

View Full Version : Timing Gear Cover Crank Seal Modification

mjeansonne
04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I am having to pull the vibration damper off in order to put the A/C pulleys on. The bolts are longer than the standard pulley bolts.

Since I have removed the pulleys, I now have to replace the rubber gasket that goes between the pulleys and the damper... and since I have to order that item, I figure maybe I should replace the front crank seal.

I know that there is a way to replace the seal with a modern seal outlined in one of the tech sites linked to the SDC site that I can do myself. But I don't think I want to do that one. I would rather a modification like others are doing... such as Lionel Stone. I figure I have about a week before the rubber damper gasket gets here. Soooo...

Can anyone suggest someone that can modify the timing cover that is close to Louisiana, or perhaps detail how I can get my machinist to do the modification for me. HELP!!!!!!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

r1lark
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

I am having to pull the vibration damper off in order to put the A/C pulleys on. The bolts are longer than the standard pulley bolts.

Since I have removed the pulleys, I now have to replace the rubber gasket that goes between the pulleys and the damper... and since I have to order that item, I figure maybe I should replace the front crank seal.

I know that there is a way to replace the seal with a modern seal outlined in one of the tech sites linked to the SDC site that I can do myself. But I don't think I want to do that one. I would rather a modification like others are doing... such as Lionel Stone. I figure I have about a week before the rubber damper gasket gets here. Soooo...

Can anyone suggest someone that can modify the timing cover that is close to Louisiana, or perhaps detail how I can get my machinist to do the modification for me. HELP!!!!!!

I have had several timing cover neoprene seal modifications done by Ingvar Vik, and have been very happy with them. His email is in Turning Wheels, in the Co-Operator column.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

mjeansonne
04-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I know about Ingvar. But the same situation exists with Lionel. Its a question of time. Both gentlemen do excellent work. I just decided to do this while the waterpump manifold and the vibration damper are off. I guess I could overnight them, but freight both ways alone would cost a fortune!!

Neal in NM
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
I posted some pic on the general discussion forum (04-19-07 titled Progress on front cover/hub). I had to make a new hub so I modified the cover while I had it apart. Any compentent machinist should be able to do it for you. I would look for a small job shop in your area. Neal

r1lark
04-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks, I know about Ingvar. But the same situation exists with Lionel. Its a question of time. Both gentlemen do excellent work. I just decided to do this while the waterpump manifold and the vibration damper are off. I guess I could overnight them, but freight both ways alone would cost a fortune!!

OK, then look here:http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/TimingSealConversion/TimingSeal.html

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

sbca96
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Oilseal2/oilseal.html

Tom

I know that there is a way to replace the seal with a modern seal outlined in one of the tech sites linked to the SDC site that I can do myself.

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires