PDA

View Full Version : ID query - is this a 1933 Studebaker Rockne?

tennessee_anomaly
12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm no authority on these years - it has been suggested that the car in the photo is a 1933 Studebaker Rockne? Can anyone confirm that this is so? If not, do you know what it might be?

I've been working on some old family photos, and this is my grandmother in her back yard around 1952. My Uncle Jack - age 17 at this time - had purchased this old car to fix up, but ultimately I believe it went to the junk man. But, if this is the car he described, it helps me date this photo and some others.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff377/lewisSon2291/Glenn%20Martin%20family%20-%20Sevier%20County%20TN/Josie0002.jpg

dictator27
12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Yes, it appears to be a 32-33 Rockne. Forum member Rockne10 would be the one to positively confirm it.

Terry

rockne10
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm thinking I don't know. Other than what appears to be rear window trim, which I've never seen on a Rockne, it very well could be. Proportions look right, fender sweep and bumper configuration. A shame we don't have the definitive frontal view. Maybe if I had the technical ability to enlarge the photo detail...
Richard Quinn would be the go-to guy.
Sorry.

Chris Pile
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm thinking Larry Tholen of the Rockne Registry would be the arbiter here.

rockne10
12-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Larry is a Forum member but seldom visits unless prompted. Have forwarded query to his attention.

Lothar
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Does this help?

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc126/lotharhp/Rocknezoom.jpg

My limited knowledge and reference resources indicate that the swooping fenders resemble a 1932 or 1933 Studebaker, as does the spare tire. It could also be a half-dozen other marques. It does appear to have a chrome trim strip around the firewall, which might be an indicator of one model or another. My SWAG is that, if its a Studebaker at all, its a higher end model like a Dictator, rather than a Rockne.

rockne10
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
The Rockne had the chrome trim around the firewall. The trim around the rear window bothers me. Could be something someone painted on.

Herewith, Larry Tholen's response:

" Difficult to tell from that angle--rear bumper looks correct for '33 Rockne rear-spare sedan. Need closer view of hood to check for slanted hood louvres and A pillar/front door leading edge (if Rockne "65" or "10") with 2 external door hinges, and/or hub caps to see if they have R. Certainly is an early '30s car--probably not later than '33. Most '32 Rockne "65" images I have from rear with rear spare show 2-piece rear bumper, while same for '33 "10" are 1-piece with center "dip", so if Rockne, more likely is '33 "10". (Think all "75" with rear spare have 2-piece rear bumper.)

Best I can offer without closer views.

Larry Tholen."

Chris Pile
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Larry is a Forum member but seldom visits unless prompted. Have forwarded query to his attention.

That was my point.

Studebaker Wheel
12-07-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm thinking I don't know. Other than what appears to be rear window trim, which I've never seen on a Rockne, it very well could be. Proportions look right, fender sweep and bumper configuration. A shame we don't have the definitive frontal view. Maybe if I had the technical ability to enlarge the photo detail...
Richard Quinn would be the go-to guy.
Sorry.

There is really not enough showing to be 100% certain about the year and model of the car. Everything I see however looks to be correct for a Rockne or perhaps a 1932-33 Six. The sweep of the rear fender, the "v" bumper, the size of the hub caps and the overall size of the car are all consistent. One thing that is not right is the tail light and license plate which is shown on the right side in the photo. For domestic cars it should be on the drivers (left) side. So either this is an export car or the image was reversed. If one looks carefully it appears that the steering wheel is on the right, my guess is a reversed image. I am discounting what looks like paint around the back glass since that could have been a owner modification.

Studebaker Wheel
12-07-2010, 01:43 AM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/Josie0002.jpg?t=1291704013

I am of the opinion that this is the correct perspective on the car (and your grandmother). And if you uncle stated he had a Rockne I will bet this is it!

tennessee_anomaly
12-07-2010, 05:27 AM
"If one looks carefully it appears that the steering wheel is on the right, my guess is a reversed image."

No doubt about, the image is reversed. It never occurred to me that this could be the case, but something wasn't right. I did not recognize this as her back yard till I started looking at the hedge. The background and sun angle kept bothering me as I looked at this - now I know why. Thank you so much for clearing this up.

Bob Andrews
12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Very interesting thread. I wonder if I'll ever get to know anything about prewar Studes:o

65cruiser
12-07-2010, 10:04 AM
The better question is what is that contraption on the ground and what is she doing?

GEEMAC
12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks like she may be filling a wadeing pool, not many people had piped in or running water back in the early fiftys especially in the rual areas, we lived in a town of about seven to eight hundred at that time and didn,t have running water in our end of town until 1954.Sewer lines either. MAC

tennessee_anomaly
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
"The better question is what is that contraption on the ground and what is she doing?"

"Looks like she may be filling a wadeing pool, not many people had piped in or running water back in the early fiftys especially in the rual areas, we lived in a town of about seven to eight hundred at that time and didn,t have running water in our end of town until 1954.Sewer lines either."

The location of the photo is 1952 Knoxville, Tenn. - my grandparents did have utility water & sewer at this time. They always had dogs, and I'm betting she was filling the thing on the ground with water to wash the dog in, and using the tub to rinse. Thanks again to Richard Quinn for figuring out the reverse angle - I've discovered some other photos that didn't look right that I are most likely reversed.