PDA

View Full Version : Barrett-Jackson , Scotdale Auction

2R5
12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I see there is 3 Studebakers listed for the 2011 Scotsdale Auction .
1 1947 M series pickup ,a '55 Conestoga wagon and a '52 custom pickup .
Maybe we'll be able to see at least one of these cross the block !

JBOYLE
12-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe, but don't bet on it.
Auction firms typically have higher consignment fees for cars crossing during TV time.
If you want your car to cross during "prime time" (and by that I mean when more people are in the venue, not just TV time) you have to pay more.
So if you're looking for bargains (or if you're selling your car and don't expect it to bring much) look early in the auction...and early in the day.

JDP
12-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Maybe, but don't bet on it.
Auction firms typically have higher consignment fees for cars crossing during TV time.
If you want your car to cross during "prime time" (and by that I mean when more people are in the venue, not just TV time) you have to pay more.
So if you're looking for bargains (or if you're selling your car and don't expect it to bring much) look early in the auction...and early in the day.

I recall the M series that sold for 75K was on in prime time, and that price was nuts.

Bob Andrews
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Scottsdale is on my bucket list, maybe in a few years. I've seen some really decent-looking bargains in the off-times during the week.

studebaker-R2-4-me
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM

I've never seen a bargain at Barret-Jackson, just a bunch of fools with too much money to get bragging rights when they get home with a car that cost them twice what it is actually worth.

I still wonder how that guy felt when he got home with that $75K Studebaker truck that he could have bought 6 more of for the same money. Like I said he got braggin rights to his neighbors ( good thing none of them have a Studebaker)

Allen

41 Frank
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I'll be at Barrett Jackson again this year and will check them out. Maybe the M-5 is the same one that sold for that big money. There had to be at least 2 guys bidding on it that did not know what it was worth for it to go that high. I go mainly to see the cars and of course all the plastic women with the rich old guys. lol

Green53
12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I have been attending the B-J Auction for over 20 years. There are some crazy prices when the buyers are there and on television. I feel sorry for the sellers that get stuck with a early in the week morning slot. Some of those cars go way under market. Many are bought back by the seller to avoid the loss costing them 18% plus the entry fee. With the no reserve it is a real crap shoot and many of the auctions will give a short hammer if the bidder is a friend. As Frank said there a lot of plastic women with their sugar daddys

Denny L

2R5
12-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Frank , it is a differant M this year . This one is a green one that $75 G one was yellow I think .
The Custom R series has got a higher lot # so it may be a high dollar custom that we could see on TV ...that was my thinking.
Allan all BJ auctioned cars aren't the pricey ones you see on TV , like someone previously stated there is some great cars at great prices early on in the auction.

JDP
12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Frank , it is a differant M this year . This one is a green one that $75 G one was yellow I think .
The Custom R series has got a higher lot # so it may be a high dollar custom that we could see on TV ...that was my thinking.
Allan all BJ auctioned cars aren't the pricey ones you see on TV , like someone previously stated there is some great cars at great prices early on in the auction.

The 75K truck was green, with some very minor custom touches.

2R5
12-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Don't think this is the same truck though. The high dollar one had lots of chrome on it .Here is the truck .

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/currentcarlist.aspx?aid=403&sd=01%2f17%2f2011&ed=01%2f24%2f2011

41 Frank
12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
The 75K truck was green, with some very minor custom touches.

That is right John, it was indeed green.

rusty nut garage
12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
you can tell Frank has been there before and he couldn't be more right!!

I'll be at Barrett Jackson again this year and will check them out. Maybe the M-5 is the same one that sold for that big money. There had to be at least 2 guys bidding on it that did not know what it was worth for it to go that high. I go mainly to see the cars and of course all the plastic women with the rich old guys. lol

Corvanti
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
according to the archives, that truck sold at b-j in palm beach-2010 for $31,900. same vin# but looks like the engine was pretty'd up a bit now...

woodysrods
12-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I have been attending the B-J Auction for over 20 years. There are some crazy prices when the buyers are there and on television. I feel sorry for the sellers that get stuck with a early in the week morning slot. Some of those cars go way under market. Many are bought back by the seller to avoid the loss costing them 18% plus the entry fee. With the no reserve it is a real crap shoot and many of the auctions will give a short hammer if the bidder is a friend. As Frank said there a lot of plastic women with their sugar daddys

Denny L
Denny I would love to know more about your car. Can you tell us about it or post some pictures.
Thanks
Brian
C/K Lover

JBOYLE
12-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Speaking of TV auctions....
this weekend on Discovery HD they had the Mecum Auction from Kansas City.
There were some real good buys...
My wife couldn't believe a 20s Dodge woody going for $14K. A Ford would have been twice that much.
Even a favorite, a 69 Mach 1, went for mid-30s...heck if I'd found that, I might not have bought my Avanti (since that's what i have in it and the Stude will never be worth more than a 69 Mustang). But another 69 Mach 1 went for $60-70K...so the first one probably wasn't as nice.

If you want to sell your car on TV, Mecum might be a better et, I bet the fees are lower than B-J.

Green53
12-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Brian- The car has a 74 Chevy 350 w/TH350 trans, Tilt wheel from same 74 Malibu, 74 Nova subframe, 85 Monte Carlo 10 bolt rear, 84 Cutlass master cylinder and booster along with the suspended pedal, 63 GT dash, 57 Golden Hawk seats, A/C is an aftermarket slimline of unknown make. The nice part of the subframe is the power steering, A/C and all did not have to be re-engineered. Color is 92-96 Ford Deep Jewel Green. Runs and drives great. It was built by a friend in Omaha in 93.

Denny L

sweetolbob
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I've never been to the BJ auction but I'd sure like to go. Between the initial program and the reruns, I probably see a significant amount of the program. While there are a lot of high priced iron that seems to go for elevated prices, I'd take $30K and come away with a great street rod that probably cost some one $80-100K to build. A lot of them go for much less than the cost of construction.

You would just need to be there before saturday by my viewing.

Bob

Bob Andrews
12-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I've never seen a bargain at Barret-Jackson, just a bunch of fools with too much money to get bragging rights when they get home with a car that cost them twice what it is actually worth.

Oh, there are bargains for sure! As has been said, you have to be there on off-peak times. Check out Tuesday from last Scottsdale:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/currentcarlist.aspx?aid=304&sd=01/19/2010&ed=01/19/2010

I would LOVED to have bought Lot# 6 as just one example! Browse the Tuesday-Thursday listings from previous years and you'll no doubt find a few you'd call a real bargain:)

I'd take $30K and come away with a great street rod that probably cost some one $80-100K to build. A lot of them go for much less than the cost of construction.

Bob, the above link has one made-to-order for you! See #66:cool:

sweetolbob
12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Posted by Bob Andrews
Bob, the above link has one made-to-order for you! See #66

Right you are Bob, It's not my style but a great example of what $19 large could buy you at BJ.

Bob