Battery direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery direction?

Can anyone tell me which way my battery should face? I know this may sound to some a little ridiculous but I need to purchase a new battery and I want to order it with the brand name facing the proper way. I have a 58 president. The positive side is towards the back (drivers window) and it looks as though the brand name can be seen from both sides. I can order the battery with the brand name on either side.
    Jim Rostron

Here you go from 7 days ago, see the LINK below, found with the search function at the top of the page.

Of course it would be nice to have the "Willard" name facing the engine, but I am not so sure that the original did that! If it is any other brand, why would it matter?

Detail information here on Post #2:
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=group+battery
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2010, 10:20 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
      Can anyone tell me which way my battery should face? I know this may sound to some a little ridiculous but I need to purchase a new battery and I want to order it with the brand name facing the proper way. I have a 58 president. The positive side is towards the back (drivers window) and it looks as though the brand name can be seen from both sides. I can order the battery with the brand name on either side.
      Yes it is going to be a Willard and I guess I tell them to print it on the engine side.
      Jim Rostron

Comment

Yes it is going to be a Willard and I guess I tell them to print it on the engine side.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
          How "elaborate" can your battery supplier make them look??? Believe the batteries released for 1958 production had a whole lot more on them than just the "Willard" name. You can order a copy of the engineering drawing from the SNM Archives …if you really want/can go to that detail!?!?
          I only want it to be considered an original battery for judging purposes. So I want it to be as correct as is reasonable.
          Jim Rostron

Comment

I only want it to be considered an original battery for judging purposes. So I want it to be as correct as is reasonable.
            OK, now you be the "judge" as to what is correct & reasonable!!!

Storage Battery
            Studebaker drawing # 1546064
            Willard drawing # 27792
            Willard part number 1300

On engine side of battery appears:
            Willard
            Super Master
            with Silver-Metalex
            SMR-2SM

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Jim, do you know what years they used the Globe batteries? I have that brand name, as well as Willard, in my '59-'60 literature.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                Jim, do you know what years they used the Globe batteries? I have that brand name, as well as Willard, in my '59-'60 literature.
                To my knowledge...NEVER on cars anyway! We saw that pic Craig has of a 8E45 with two H.D. Globe Betteries, so MAYBE they were used on Diesels.

It was only a Factory authorized Dealer option for replacement batteries.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I asked what years they were used, not installed at the factory, if that's what you meant.

If the Globe batteries (found on the back of my 1960 Accessories catalog below) were a Studebaker factory authorized dealer option for replacement batteries AND the Globe brand is drawn in the Chassis Parts electrical diagram pages it wouldn't seem accurate that the answer would be, NEVER.

They seemingly used them promotionally, sold them and installed them for the 1960 models. I was hoping that Jim, being in South Bend, might know how many other years those batteries were offered and perhaps knew of other drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                    I'm sorry barnlark, I do not know the answer to your specific question, but can tell you exactly where & how you can find it.

BTW, I only happened across that 1958Willard" battery used in production than I'd seen, so I made a special note it.

Comment

OK, then I guess all we have to do is check the back of all the different '60's Accessory booklets to see what years they advertised this Globe Dealer replacement option. So far I have found it on '60, '61 & '62
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X