Board in computer class.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board in computer class.

One of the classes I take at school is AutoCad, which is computer aided design. Kind of like drafting. A few days ago I got ahead of my drawings and had some time to waste, and this is what I came up with...
    Chris Dresbach

Two friendly comments, Chris: 1- it is "Bored" not "Board" (more studying English?) 2- you've designed everything to 1/10,000th (of an inch?) ; those are some pretty tight tolerances! Is it 12 inches or 12 feet or 12 millimeters long? By the way, I used to design model airplanes on CADD (not AutoCADD) as a hobby - it can be a lot of fun.

--george
    1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Chris,
      You need to go into your dimension settings to show your dim. in feet and in mm in parentheses below feet.
      Mike

P.S. what release are you using?

Comment

I took "Drafting" (AutoCad) in my Freshman year of high school, the next year the class was canceled due to lack of interest. We did things like the layout of your Turtle, floor plans for houses we designed (including electrical wiring, furniture, appliances, etc), and complex 3D objects with various angles, arcs, etc. It was definitely my favorite class in all of high school.
        Last edited by mbstude; 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind guys that this was created in less than 15 minutes... I think it's dimentioned in INCHES. I enjoy the class, but this drawing is really basic.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Welcome to AutoCAD Chris! I've been using it where I work since 1999 and am now using AutoCAD 2009 for two-dimensional drawing and Inventor 10 for three-dimensional solid modeling of assembly/fabrication equipment for the door & window industry. I recommend that you dimension circles with a diameter callout and use a different line color for object lines than what you use for dimension lines. I use the standard blue for object lines and black for dim lines.
            With a little more experience, maybe you can help Ed design more reproduction parts for Studebakers?

By the way, good job!
            Last edited by Milaca; 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Same here, I had what was then Drafting as a freshmen in high school. Prior to the new school being constructed across the street with a much more improved shop, we drew up our stuff through the traditional methods, and the CAD computers the higher level students used, were the older 286 and 386 green screen PC's. We used the large drafting desks, the drafting pencils, the drafting paper, the T-square, rulers, you name it. I wasn't particularly good at it, mostly because it was the first drafting class I ever had, and I was a shy sloppy. But, I went out purchased the drafting pencils, the wonderful oversize white oopsy(as I like to call them) rubber erasers, and the rulers to improve my skill. By the end of the class I had improved quite a bit with my parent's and my teacher's help. The final drawings we had, which were drawings for a small Shaker style cabinet, were going to be used in the following Wood Shop course under the same teacher. When the school moved across the street, everything was upgraded, so as far as I know the initial methods are still used, but almost everything is done on CAD. The class is plenty popular, not only because it the first shop class that is needed for the other shop classes, but also many of the kids that continue on in any serious manner in drafting or CAD usually end up in one of the Manufacturing classes with the teacher.

I still have the cabinet too, it's used to house my computer games and my PC speaker . I should also mention that it is "bored", rather than "board". At first, I thought the board you were referring to was the mainboard or motherboard in the PC .
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

When I had drafting, circa 1962, all we had was a pencil, straight edge and a protractor.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

When I took Mechanical Drawing, or Drafting, I didn't get real good grades for my Excellent work. I always figured it was just another case of a teacher out to get me. I mean after all, with a name like Chauncey Gorsage, what do you expect?
                  Anyway, when I retreived my course book from my mother's house a few years ago and looked through it, I was truly surprised. Surprised at the poor quality of the work I was looking at!
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    One of the classes I take at school is AutoCad, which is computer aided design. Kind of like drafting. A few days ago I got ahead of my drawings and had some time to waste, and this is what I came up with...
                    Good job CHRIS, and thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Well I could see where the teacher was coming from, especially now. I had a bad habit where I drew and redrew lines and sometimes I wouldn't get my old marks completely erased. When it came time to turn it in, the teacher was not only retired from Caterpillar here, which meant the bar was set a little higher, he also had to be able to read the drawing to correctly produce the dimensioned parts. I don't think it helped any when he got the drawings back and they still had lines on the drawing where lines shouldn't exist . Ironically enough, I still had those problems of the pencil marks when I did my calculations in physics a few years later .
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I started on AutoCAD 1.6 after many years of T Square and Triangle. The whole install program and sample drawings fit on 1 3.5" floppy. A little over 1 MB. It did everything that the new versions did in terms of regular drafting work. Of course, I moved to 2.5 D and 3D over the years. Most of my design is done in SolidWorks at this point. But it was a major pain to make the change from a history based modelling program to feature based. There are still times when I could cheat and go back to AutoCAD and do something much faster, but I resist the temptation. Learn your 3 view layout and detailing. It will serve you well even if you don't draw for a living.
                        Jim
                        Often in error, never in doubt
                        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

AutoCad ???? When I took drafting in HS we had to do our final drawing with drafting pens and bottled ink. I also had to take a mechanical drafting course for one semester as a Freshman at the University of Alabama's College of Engineering....

My AutoCad equipment was german manufactured by Staedtler and looked something like this ...

sigpic
                          John
                          63R-2386
                          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            When I had drafting, circa 1962, all we had was a pencil, straight edge and a protractor.
                            What's a pencil?
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

What's a pencil?
                              I know that this may be wholly unnecessary, but the items in this photo do carry some relevance to this discussion here .

From the left, that is my old Staedtler large eraser. That thing did a heck of a job on the largest of mistakes on drafting paper. If that didn't work I also had a rubber artist eraser as well. At the top was the leads(with the holding cartridge underneath) that if I recall went into a clamp on the mechanical triangle on the drafting board. Basically it was a pencil without the external casing on it. When I started having troubles in drafting, on the advice of my relatives(whom was a shop teacher himself), we went out and spent a small fortune on those Staedtler pencils, Staedtler erasers, a T-square, and some basic geometry instruments. I will say that for the basic stuff, it's good, but it's not cheap. Underneath those are my #2 pencils that are made out of recycled blue jeans(the blue one) and recycled money(the green ones). I have probably had those since about 1993 or so. Underneath those are what I call my lucky black magic, Mirado Black Warrior pencils that I take into every paper and pencil test with me. Ironically enough when I went in for my chemistry test a couple weekends ago, I could not find those anywhere so I went with those blue and green pencils, only to find my black ones in my desk tonight. It's nothing major, just a smooth black #2 pencil with a nasty sounding name. Finally, the one on the bottom is an ordinary #2 Roseart pencil that everybody thinks of when they pick up a pencil .

That may be the silliest answer I gave, but in the far future, people will now know what a pencil is ....

Oh right, what does a pencil do? It's a writing utensil that is used to scribe lines onto paper, or any writing medium, and provides pictures, illustrations, or basic communication between one or more people. The pointed end makes the black lines, the pink end removes them .

Comment

Working...
                              X