PDA

View Full Version : Avanti wiring harness availability?

wfhenderson
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Ordered the dashboard-forward harness from Studebaker International after deciding I would rather pay the freight instead of re-using my original one that is rather "tattered". They told me that they are long backordered - with a wait of at least two years!

OK, so does anyone have wisdom? Can this be correct? Is there another source? A substitute that is close? (Lark?) Or should I get busy with the soldering iron and black tape?

Thanks, fellow old car folks.

Bill Henderson

StudeRich
12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
A '63-'64 GT Hawk would be a lot closer than any Lark since both Avanti and Hawk have full gauges, but really who knows how many lengths are long enough or what, at least you would have all of the molded terminal ends and Instrument light sockets, engine end Terminals, etc, etc. It would still require a lot of cutting and splicing.

Dwain G.
12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Studebakers West shows them available..............
http://www.studebakerswest.net/main.sc

N8N
12-01-2010, 07:50 PM
rather than black tape, I far prefer to use heat shrink :) (BTDT)

nate

arkusvt
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
if you go to the studebaker west site and try to order one, they show "back-ordered.

52 Ragtop
12-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Studerich,
The main thing on a Hawk wiring loom would be the missing ground wires! That's what makes the Avanti harness so different!

Jim

bezhawk
12-02-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm having one made up by Y & Z Yesteryear Parts (listed in vender section).
It will have all the correct moulded plug ends etc.
NOT CHEAP

Bud
12-02-2010, 07:11 AM
The Hawk and Avanti wire looms aren't interchangeable due to the different locations of all of the electrical components and different wire lengths. Plus the Avanti has an extra wire for the ground connection in many of the circuits. I've used Y&Z wire looms and have had good luck with them. Like bezhawk says, Y&Z's looms aren't cheap, but they will work and fit like the original equipment. Bud

wfhenderson
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Thank you all very much. This type of advice is worth its weight in gold.... I didn't even consider the lack of ground wires in the Hawk/Lark harnesses! Yikes....

I will make some inquiries.

Bill