V-8 Rocker Arm Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 Rocker Arm Shaft

Am dis-assembling the rocker shafts on a 1963 V-8. The manual states that one end of the shaft is rounded and the other is not, in order to orient the shaft properly to the block. Can not see any diff. between the ends and am reluctant to continue disassembly until I know what to look for.
    Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Thanks, Paul K

On one end of the shaft is a "flat" on part of the round end. This flat is on the same end as the oil hole that fills the shaft and feeds the rockers so you can slide the shaft stand toward the center of the shaft and see which end the hole is in. There is a half inch plug in each end of the shaft that should be removed to really clean the inside of the shaft. After 50 years there can be a large amound of sludge built up in these. New plugs are available from most vendors.

When reassembled the flat will be toward the front on the driver side and to the rear on the passenger side. If not, the rockers will not get oil.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
    Am dis-assembling the rocker shafts on a 1963 V-8. The manual states that one end of the shaft is rounded and the other is not, in order to orient the shaft properly to the block. Can not see any diff. between the ends and am reluctant to continue disassembly until I know what to look for.
    Can anyone clear this up for me?
    Thanks, Paul K

Comment

It's been awhile since I reassembled the ones on the '55, but from the other set of rocker arms I have here, the shafts have a set of four notches in them. Those notches correspond to the diameter of the holes in the rocker shaft stands. If those notches are not aligned to the holes in the stands, the headbolts will not be able to pass through the rocker arm stands. You can look down the hole of the rocker arm stand and see the notch in the shaft, and you be able to see the shaft cover up half of the hole in the rocker arm stand if you rotate the shaft around.
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Thanks - The location is easy to see now that I know where to look.
        Paul K

Comment

Working...
        X