Old post card you will like Martinsville, Indiana 1937

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old post card you will like Martinsville, Indiana 1937

W. E. Reeves of Martinsville, Indiana was obviously a big Studebaker supporter as evidenced by this old post card. It shows three Studebaker Dictator sedans, a J5 Coupe Express and what appears to be a J-25 truck. Martinsville is in Morgan County in south central Indiana about 30 miles SW of Indianapolis and 175 miles from South Bend. It was once known for its warm water spas and was also known as "the goldfish capital of the world." We are not sure whether or not Mr Reeves Shell service station is still in operation. Maybe frequent contributor Bob Palma could drive the 40 miles down from his place to see if those vehicles might be available? I could use another Coupe Express.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Is there any address available for the property, Dick?

Tuesday, November 30 is the end of the month; I'll bet they'd cut us a good deal if we could take delivery tomorrow as I type this. <GGG>

I've spent a modest amount of time in Martinsville and have never seen a commerical building with that architecture. However, there are plenty of somewhat major thoroughfares on which I have not traveled in Martinsville, so the property may still exist.

As you say, the community is indeed known for its artesian wells and the allegedly-therapeudic value of the water from them. The school teams are even named The Artesians!

Another Martinsville claim to fame is being the home town of the late, famous basketball coach, Purdue Alumnus Johnny Wooden.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

No address. Actually I believe the station may have belonged to a Roy V. Martin and the truck to W. E. Reeves. The Martin name is on the Good Year tire sign on the far right. I am sure the local historical society could set us straight. Re Johnny Wooden he moved to Martinsville when he was 14 in 1924 and led the team to 3 consecutive state championships before moving on to Purdue where he helped win a national championship in 1932. Did you know he played basketball for the Studebaker team (industrial league) in 1934-35? And the name of the team? The Studebaker Champions of course! I have a photo if there are any non-believers!
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        The Studebaker Champions of course! I have a photo if there are any non-believers!
        On that note (no pun intended now), got any photos of Richard Himber's Studebaker Champions? I love to see a photo of them!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          On that note (no pun intended now), got any photos of Richard Himber's Studebaker Champions? I love to see a photo of them!

Craig

Sure, what took you so long to ask? The band was originally (1929) led by Jean Goldkette.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            Sure, what took you so long to ask? The band was originally (1929) led by Jean Goldkette.
            Thank you! Like Fred Fox, I have some old Radio magazines from the Thirties. There is some mention of Richard Himber and His Studebaker Champions, but never saw any photos of them.

Craig

Comment

One of the Dictators has whitewall tires on it. Did Studebaker offer them as an option(factory or dealer installed) or were they cheaters?

Terry

Comment

By enlarging the photo I was able to see into the corners. This building appears to be outside, or on the edge of, town. There appears to be a harrow leaning against the fence on the far right side of the photo and the left side has an open appearance to it also. Since this picture was taken at least seventy-five years ago though, the building could be in town by now. Then again... towns don't appear to spread and expand back east like they do here in California.

All the same, it could have been torn down in the sixties for a more 'progressive' strip mall or housing development.

The band picture is really interesting in that the area where the band is has an elegant apperance to it. The set behind the performers, the chairs they're sitting on, a refelcting pool, the collumns. Then the 'customers/audience' are sitting on mis-matched folding chairs at equally mis-matched tables, yet elegantly dressed. A very odd composition.

Thanks again for sharing from your amazing collection, Richard.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                  One of the Dictators has whitewall tires on it. Did Studebaker offer them as an option(factory or dealer installed) or were they cheaters?

Terry
                  Yes whitewall tires were a factory option in 1937.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                  X