58 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Golden Hawk

I have just come across a 1958 Golden Hawk in pretty rough condition and was wondering how much it might be worth. I have come up with very little info to go by on the internet. Also, what should I check for or find out in order to get a better idea of value. Any help would be appreciated.
    Here are a few pics

Thanks

Hmmmm, I don't know about the car, but I'd give you $5 for the Michigan license plates .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Hmmmm, I don't know about the car, but I'd give you $5 for the Michigan license plates .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Troy: Is that a factory overdrive car? I don't see a shift quadrant on the steering column. If so, it is one of only 158 1958 Golden Hawks built with overdrive. And if it is factory solid Midnight Black, it is one of only 26 solid black overdrive '58s built!

Cousin George Krem, Larry Swanson, and I recently completed an exhaustive study of all 1958 Golden Hawk Production Records. [:I] The results will soon be published in Turning Wheels. George has completed the article and turned it in.

If this is a factory Midnight Black overdrive '58 GH and is complete with supercharger and original engine intact, bidding on e-bay might start at $3000 if it was cleaned up and presented nicely....and who knows where it would end in this crazy market! [][}] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Troy: Is that a factory overdrive car? I don't see a shift quadrant on the steering column. If so, it is one of only 158 1958 Golden Hawks built with overdrive. And if it is factory solid Midnight Black, it is one of only 26 solid black overdrive '58s built!

Cousin George Krem, Larry Swanson, and I recently completed an exhaustive study of all 1958 Golden Hawk Production Records. [:I] The results will soon be published in Turning Wheels. George has completed the article and turned it in.

If this is a factory Midnight Black overdrive '58 GH and is complete with supercharger and original engine intact, bidding on e-bay might start at $3000 if it was cleaned up and presented nicely....and who knows where it would end in this crazy market! [][}] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks very much for the help. I'm pretty sure it's the original paintjob...and yes it is an overdrive. The way the guy explained it to me sounded interesting. Apparently it has three gears and six speeds(if that makes sense). When you shift into third, it is in 3 low. If you double-pump the gas it shifts into 3 high.
            I knew it was rare, but wow. Looking forward to that article.

Comment

Thanks very much for the help. I'm pretty sure it's the original paintjob...and yes it is an overdrive. The way the guy explained it to me sounded interesting. Apparently it has three gears and six speeds(if that makes sense). When you shift into third, it is in 3 low. If you double-pump the gas it shifts into 3 high.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tdamon

Well, is it for sale??? [?][][8D]
                Try to buy it while the rarity is known only to SDC Forum Members, before the price goes up because the guy "...knows what it's worth!" [xx(] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tdamon

Well, is it for sale??? [?][][8D]
                  Try to buy it while the rarity is known only to SDC Forum Members, before the price goes up because the guy "...knows what it's worth!" [xx(] BP

Comment

Troy,
                    You get the car and we'll explain how those six speeds work, though I doubt you'll ever use more than five.[]
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Troy,
                      You get the car and we'll explain how those six speeds work, though I doubt you'll ever use more than five.[]
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

For a Michigan car it looks pretty good to me. I'd expect the door bottoms and the bottom edge of the trunk lid to be all rotted away.

If you want to restore it, check condition of the frame and hog troughs. Good news is that by '58 they had changed to a one piece driveshaft so you could use a GT Hawk for a donor frame if you needed it. Floors, rockers, etc. can all be repaired fairly easily but hog troughs and/or frame rust will make your project more "challenging."

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

For a Michigan car it looks pretty good to me. I'd expect the door bottoms and the bottom edge of the trunk lid to be all rotted away.

If you want to restore it, check condition of the frame and hog troughs. Good news is that by '58 they had changed to a one piece driveshaft so you could use a GT Hawk for a donor frame if you needed it. Floors, rockers, etc. can all be repaired fairly easily but hog troughs and/or frame rust will make your project more "challenging."

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My friend asked me to help him sell it. I am debating on whether I should buy it myself, or help him find a buyer. I have to be honest, I don't know a whole lot about these cars, and I would imagine that there are plenty of people out there who would appreciate it more than I would. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it could be a real beauty if it got into the right hands, but I think I may be in over my head.

Forgive me for for my ignorance, but what exactly is a
                            "hog trough"?

Comment

My friend asked me to help him sell it. I am debating on whether I should buy it myself, or help him find a buyer. I have to be honest, I don't know a whole lot about these cars, and I would imagine that there are plenty of people out there who would appreciate it more than I would. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it could be a real beauty if it got into the right hands, but I think I may be in over my head.

Forgive me for for my ignorance, but what exactly is a
                              "hog trough"?

Comment

Working...
                              X