PDA

View Full Version : How old ya gonna be when you finish your current project?

Flashback
11-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Just curious, how many of you might be working on projects you might be able to estimate your
ETC on completion and so how old will you be? I figure I will be 70 when I finish my 53 coupe!
I am 66 now, and just got it driveable.

Bob Andrews
11-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Fun, soul-bearing topic!

I have many projects, many different makes, but my most-desired is 62 Daytona 2dr. HT, R2/5-speed with Skytop. Thus far I have a solid, straight shell all stripped; r2 engine complete carb-to-pan with blower, fresh and ready to go; and a mountain of NOS body panels, trim, etc. That one is stalled due to business recovery, further delayed until I'm completely debt-free (any other Dave Ramsey followers out there?). I have gone back and forth about selling off everything since the timeline to do it the way I want is so long, but haven't. Everything is safely stored, and I keep my eye out for more odds and ends; right now that's how I'm enjoying the project, dreaming and planning. I've actually had a couple people take potshots at this, like there's anything wrong with how I'm doing it; kooky, I know.

All that said, I figure about 3 years before I can get seriously into it, 5 years to completion. I'll be about 55 years old.

Of course, that's barring any life detours <G>

N8N
11-28-2010, 09:21 AM
trick question. No project car is ever finished! Even if it is "show ready" there is always something that you'll find to change/fix/update!

nate

Tahiti Coral
11-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Are they ever really done?

I'm not sure on the timeline. I've owned the same Lark for the 3rd time now. The first time was in high school, the second time I was going to start restoring the car and had it partially disassembled in my grandfather's garage. I got married, had a baby, got divorced and gramps was using the car as a workbench when back in my 20's. I sold the car to a coworker, he put the car back together and owned the car at least 15 years.

Fast forward... I bought the car back when I was 40 and didn't do a whole lot until recently. I am now 45 and have started working on the car bit by bit. I just bought a nice frame in MN that I will sandblast & paint and switch out the old weak rusty one on the car. I will need to replace front floorboards and have some bodywork to do (need front fenders). When will I be done? Who knows. Being a 4dr Lark, it will never be worth what I am doing to it, but then how can you replace sentimental value??

jclary
11-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I am also 66 and I am full of corny sayings (like the one in my signature ). I say "corny" because sayings are easy. However, when you become or are involved in a "real life" target of the sayings, they sometimes seem to ring hollow, or lose their cuteness.

One of my sayings is..."I'd rather die with things undone, than to get everything done and wait to die."

Nearly three years ago, my oldest brother (who I loved dearly) told me that he had just been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. During the next several months, we spent time discussing our past with serious and light hearted banter. On a few occasions, I used the saying above, but this was the first time the saying rang with such a harsh impact.

One day during that period of my life, I rode my motorcycle to visit one brother in the VA Hospital in Asheville, N.C. After leaving there, I rode another 50 or 60 miles to visit my oldest brother in hospice in Shelby, N.C.

It was ordinarily a beautiful route, winding roads, mountain vistas, and the growl of a powerful V-twin. However, I was an emotional wreck, because I realized that both of my brothers had reached a point in life where they had seen their last mountain vista, taken that last curve, and the wind was now at their backs. One had wanted to buy my old Nissan truck. Now, I knew that woud never happen, and the other would never complete the purchase of the '55 President Coupe sitting in my "Man Cave." We had many discussions of how he and his son were going to "fix it up" and participate in SDC events with me.

I take comfort knowing that they left with things undone, but neither were they just waiting to die.

For me...I'm staying busy.

sweetolbob
11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
trick question. No project car is ever finished! Even if it is "show ready" there is always something that you'll find to change/fix/update!

nate

Well said Nate.

Mine are finished when I sell them, until then everything in the pole barn is unfinished.

Judy said the 83 Avanti must be finished as it looks and runs great. Well, kinda but there's that little issue of installing the EFI and, Well the trunk rack looks out of place so it's gotta go but I guess it's almost finished.:cool:

Bob

Neal in NM
11-28-2010, 10:25 AM
When you ask how old do you mean MENTALLY or PHYSICALLY?
Neal

John Brayton
11-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree that to call it finished is, at best, optimistic. However I want to be finished enough with the 53 coupe to be driving it in 2011. I'll be 61.

Regards,
John Brayton

Chris_Dresbach
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Age when done for my three projects:
My '40 Champion: When I'm 99.
My model N: I will be dead and my kids will have to finish it... If I have kids... lol
Turtle: Done, I'm 16. :)

candbstudebakers
11-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Most dreams are never done and never will be, all for reasons we all know, time , money, space, family, and after time the dream just fades away and a project just needs to go away, have seen that many times in my 69 years, right now I have 4 cars I call done and still will not enter for judging , just display only 3 of them I got from family of friends that passed away and I am proud to own their dreams and glad I was able to get them at the time . the other is my 63 standard finished but not done, hang in there with your dreams that's what it is all about.

starliner62
11-28-2010, 10:50 AM
114 or never

aarrggh
11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/oqxfsp.gif

Cale Wilbern
11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
It used to bother me when somebody would ask, "But, WHEN is it going to be finished??" Now I just say, "This isn't for 'finishing', this is just for workin' on".

Dave Bates
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Hoping to have one at the Summit meet this coming year and the other Myer's meet early 2012.I'l be 49. Dave

rusty65
11-28-2010, 12:38 PM
There have been some cool, witty and truthful responses to this question.(sorry if I break the streak.)
A quick trip to the strong box indicates that I titled Sarah in 1999.Even now she looks like just a driveable parts car.Every year I have a list of things I want done, and every year something gets in the way to muck it up.Let's see, I'm 52 now so that means in 12 to 20 years it should be done.I'll get my 3rd place trophy,spin around and have the "big one", sending me to that great Swap Meet in the sky.The Mrs. will sell the car to some next-gen CASO for pennies on the dollar, and the cycle will continue.Kind of like the 'Circle of Life', automotive style.

Corvanti
11-28-2010, 12:52 PM
hard to "finish" - working on one item always leads to: "well, since i'm here, i better fix this, this, and that"... :rolleyes:

paintim613
11-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I was 57 when we started to have our custom '53 restored. After two false starts with two well-intentioned but less than capable restorers it looks like we will be "finished" just before I turn 65. At least the car will be finished enough to show. Some relatively minor mechanical issues may have to addressed in the future. Total time right now is 7 years, 3 months with about 2 months to go.

mbstude
11-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Finished? Never.

My '58 is getting an engine/trans reseal and maybe new interior. Then I'll call it "done", but in reality it still needs paint, chrome, etc etc.... But not while I own it.

My '59 truck.. Well, maybe in this lifetime at least.. :)

After the '58 is "done" I'm going to find and buy a Model A roadster or pickup. Will be Commander 6 powered. I think that one will take a while.

fatboylust
11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
This is a dose of reality I wasn't prepared to think about. Fortunately at my age I'll soon forget.

davepink53
11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I told my familly, when I die I want them to use my 1925 Panel Delivery as my hearse, so I am in no hurry to finish it!!!:o

JGK 940
11-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I'll be done when I'm dead. The Studebaker is a very important part of it, but the project is my life.

woodysrods
11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Wow! There are some pretty gripping stories, dreams and predictictions in this thread. I am 58 and have been building cars since I was 15. Have had and finished a bunch and still own about 25 or 26. Don't sell much! But, do have have a couple for sale as the realism is starting to set in ....I just don't have the long hours left in my body that I used to be able to spend in the shop. But, optomistically I still have 2 Studes, 1 Henry J, 1 Buick, and 1 Model T ont the go. With one more dream car left to purchase, I call it the "Last Car" I will ever build. 1936 Ford Roadster!
But in answer to the Question, we all have anticipated dates of project completion, that for one reason or another always get pushed back.
The main thing I have learned is to never be without a ride. I have seen too many of my friends take way too long to complete a project, just to sell it upon completion because they are no longer have the same interest as when they started it and the end became a chore rather than labour of love.
I always think about those years of pleasure they missed, while my family and I attended every event that we could, and created memories that will last us a lifetime, while my friends cars sat in the garage in pieces.
So the moral too this long winded response is, don't wait! Just do it! Make it a priority! or sell it to someone else who has more passion than you! I could tell you about the sad story of a dear friend who dropped dead of a heart attack just one week of meeting his estimated completion date. We had to finish the car for him and he never did get to see the "Peoples Choice" award the car won just days after his funeral.
It take less than 800 hours to "Fully Restore" a car and just around 1000 hours to build a "Custom" So find the time or the money and get it finished so you and you family can start enjoying it before you find yourself on the other side of the grass.
Good Roads
Brian

Nelsen Motorsports
11-28-2010, 03:08 PM
You mean make it street driveable, my car will never be finished! It will be finished when I die!

woodysrods
11-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Okay I had my rant. But you know what they say about "practice what you preach" Well I have inspired myself. I know I have been out in the shop all week and in the house doing chores all day Saturday, and it is Sunday, snow is on the ground out there, the fire is on in here and I was content to cruise eBay for Stude parts and prepare for the Grey Cup Game, but I doubt my watching the game will influence the outcome anyway. So I have decide to spend the rest of this Sunday afternoon out in the shop where I hope to finish up the welding on my top chop on my 56 Power hawk and maybe get an hour or so in on Wife Sandi's 61 Hawk restoration project.
By the way, completion date for the 61 is scheduled for May 2011 for start of the Rod Run season and my 56 is scheduled for the same time in 2012 for my 60th Birthday.... been waiting for this one since I was 13 years old. Hope I make it....Luclky I have others to enjoy until that time.
Good Roads
Brian

Kurt
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Done is a relative term...

Every time I am done, I decide I want something different. So maybe my car is always done... or maybe it isn't...

PlainBrownR2
11-28-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't have deadlines most of the items. I may set a deadline for getting a particular part of the car finished, such as readying the Lark for a show, but I don't keep too many dates on these cars. With my health condition, I tend to not push too hard to get something finished, so in most cases it will get finished when it gets finished. That's not to say I quit altogether, I just get done much later because I do the cars a little at a time. However, if I want to give a guideline well here goes:

The Lark: It's a driver, so part are replaced at the moment like any normal vehicle. Once the big money rolls in I may give consideration to put it in a better state.
The 2r5: Almost the same situation, it's used to tool around the yard with. Once the big money comes in, it may get its tags and I'll try to put it into a better state.
The '55: Currently an ongoing project that I work on when its warm since its in the elements(the work is suspended until warmer days come again), and I'm going system by system as the money allows. Once the big money comes in it can probably get back into an operable state faster.

I keep most of the cars maintained for the time being, I don't have the funding to restore them, so I don't maintain deadlines when they are completed. I also keep the same attitude with the train table, that I'm going to pace it, and not overexert myself to complete it. Personally I think it's part of the fun, which also goes back to never being done, lol. It's not everybody's style but I see myself as having half the energy of most people, so I have to pace it :p.

clonelark
11-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Seems like all i do anymore is collect parts for projects. With a running driving car the projects just set untill i get all of the stuff i need to finish.
A word of advice for you younger guys is " Dont get over 2 projects at a time." I have way more projects than i will ever finish but they arn't getting any cheaper.
I used to spend 8 hours at work and another 10 in the garage, now at my age (67 and retired) I hardly make it to the garage. Too many things get me distracted, ie football season, too cold out side, etc etc.

Welcome
11-29-2010, 07:23 AM
>>>A word of advice for you younger guys is " Dont get over 2 projects at a time." <<<>>>I used to spend 8 hours at work and another 10 in the garage, now at my age (67 and retired) I hardly make it to the garage. Too many things get me distracted, ie football season, too cold out side, etc etc.

Thanks! I'll remember that when I get to be your age...

....in two years!!:D

DEEPNHOCK
11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
I don't think any of my projects will ever be 'done'..
But, as time relentlessly marches on, the pace of the work slows a bit.
The enjoyment level remains high, so the 'rush factor' to get it done is not as paramount.
Jeff:cool:

Welcome
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
How old ya gonna be when you finish your current project?

Good question!

I’ve only had ONE Stude “project” ...for the past 43 ˝ years …and my 56J still isn’t completely done!

My cousin who owns a body shop and does restorations of Brand X’s was over here for Thanksgiving and took a look at it. He said; “We should be able to get it done in less than two weeks.” A horrible thought struck me when I heard him say that. DONE? DONE? …AND THEN WHAT??? This long JOURNEY has been the enjoyable part for me, at 65, I’m actually not looking forward to the DONE part!;)

55champion
11-29-2010, 09:03 AM
My '55 Champion 2 door Delux is starting to look like a car again, Done..... I have to agree that when I sell it it was done for me. No plans of selling in the near future so looks like I will be 63 when I get to drive it again.

Pat Dilling
11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
As others have said, my car projects are never done. I have smaller projects within big projects and those get done. I plan to start on my '54 Conestoga project shortly after my 62nd Birthday in January 2012. I tend to be goal oriented, so I will set a goal of having it safely drivable by the spring of 2014. Of course the project schedule is always subject to change. Maybe there will be paint on it by the following year.

Retired
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Current project of collecting Studebaker and Studebaker related toy vehicles will cease when the undertaker turns that casket key.

StudHawk60
11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Luckily, my project has been done about 7 years now. (when I was 41). My next old car will already have been done, I don't want to go thru all that again. Brother Dennis, are you reading this? When are you gonna buy an old truck?

rockne10
11-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Current project goal was at age 55; then 57; then 60; hoping to put miles on before my 61st.

Scotty Bob
11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm 52, will be 53 in February...I will probably be 57 when it becomes a driver...probably 60 when the finishing touches are put on her...it's not a time thing...it is a money thing...the corporate world has not been kind to me over the past decade...I throw a few hundred a month toward the restoration...at that rate, four to seven years sounds right on the money...

bridgegaurd
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
easy answer DEAD

bridgegaurd
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Finished? Never.

After the '58 is "done" I'm going to find and buy a Model A roadster or pickup. Will be Commander 6 powered. I think that one will take a while. Matthew I have a nice 1931 model 54 sedan you could chop up and make a stude pickup out of it complete with wood wheels and that seemingly one of a kind 205 engine. Will look better than a model A or that one that just sold on ebay.

Steve T
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I dodge this one entirely, really. No garage. Ergo...no car that doesn't already run/drive/turn/stop...and nothing that's too shiny, either. My Lark is the perfect old car for me. Could it be restored to flawless condition? Sure. Will it be while I own it? Nope! It's already pretty much as "done" as it's going to be. Until the next owner takes over, anyway.

Oh, and I'm 45...three years younger than the car is...

S.

silverhawk
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Hmm, good question. I wanted the car completely painted by now, and starting on the interior. Didn't happen. In fact, I don't even have the front suspension in, doors, on, ect. So, HOPEFULLY by I'm 19 my dad's '62 (I tore it waayyy down) shall be done.

Sure have learned alot though, I wouldn't trade this for the world :)

4961Studebaker
11-30-2010, 10:14 PM
well....hoping that nothing kicks the bucket around the house and lengthens the time the project will be completed.
New Heat pump systems sure do knock a guy's "emergency fund" down.

Thinking 37 is a good age to be cruising.

Bob Andrews
11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
I am also 66 and I am full of corny sayings (like the one in my signature ). I say "corny" because sayings are easy. However, when you become or are involved in a "real life" target of the sayings, they sometimes seem to ring hollow, or lose their cuteness.

One of my sayings is..."I'd rather die with things undone, than to get everything done and wait to die."

Nearly three years ago, my oldest brother (who I loved dearly) told me that he had just been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. During the next several months, we spent time discussing our past with serious and light hearted banter. On a few occasions, I used the saying above, but this was the first time the saying rang with such a harsh impact.

One day during that period of my life, I rode my motorcycle to visit one brother in the VA Hospital in Asheville, N.C. After leaving there, I rode another 50 or 60 miles to visit my oldest brother in hospice in Shelby, N.C.

It was ordinarily a beautiful route, winding roads, mountain vistas, and the growl of a powerful V-twin. However, I was an emotional wreck, because I realized that both of my brothers had reached a point in life where they had seen their last mountain vista, taken that last curve, and the wind was now at their backs. One had wanted to buy my old Nissan truck. Now, I knew that woud never happen, and the other would never complete the purchase of the '55 President Coupe sitting in my "Man Cave." We had many discussions of how he and his son were going to "fix it up" and participate in SDC events with me.

I take comfort knowing that they left with things undone, but neither were they just waiting to die.

For me...I'm staying busy.

See, this is why one has to keep a close eye on the forum. I almost missed this post. What a fine piece of writing, John; obviously from the heart. You have serious writing talent. Thanks for sharing it here!

JRoberts
12-01-2010, 04:26 AM
I don't even want to think about it! ;)