A year ago today: The Foundry tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year ago today: The Foundry tour

I got to thinking a few minutes ago, and it's hard to believe that it's been exactly a year already since the imfamous studebaker foundry tour! If I recall correctly, one of the guys who showed up that day, all the way from PA in a Lark, today is his birthday. (If you are reading this, happy birthday!) All I can say is I wish I could say I was going back to the foundry again today. I kinda miss it... Who all took pics that day? Lets see 'em! That reminds me, I STILL have core sand and a few bricks from there, and some engineering bricks. Still for sale if somebody wants some. Maybe I should make an anniversary decal...
    Chris Dresbach

Thanks so much for getting us in there, I really enjoyed the trip and the folks on the tour.

I got a couple buckets of sand that still see use and lots of cool relics scattered around the shop.
    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chris--

Has the Foundry fallen yet?

By happenstance (ie. Eric and I getting lost driving round SB in my Lark this past May), I managed to get a couple shots of my Lark with the Foundry in the background. Of all the buildings in what was the Stude complex, that one was the most significant from the perspective of my Lark: though the car was assembled in Hamilton, the engine originated in SB at the Foundry, so I really wanted to get a pic of the car there...and did, by sheer accident.

S.

Comment

Hey Chris--

O/T, did you ever find the candy-apple red version of the little Maisto '53 Stude model? If not, I found a spare and can send it to you...

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
          >>>Has the Foundry fallen yet?<<<
          It hadn't as of yesterday morning, but I'll be checking again today!

Comment

The foundry is still there, in all its crumbling glory... Sometime I'm going to drive there and take a few pics of the outside that I hadn't before.

No, I never did find a red version of the Maisto '53. The only one I have is the purple one.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

The wife reports the "assult on the Foundry" began today ...along the south wall

More details to follow when she arrives back home later this evening.

Comment

Thanks for the update...keep us posted...pix would be welcome too. Sic transit gloria mundi!

Chris, PM me your address (I'm not sure I still have it) and I'll dispatch the red '53 your way. It's prettier than the purple one...

S.

Comment

Update on the Foundry Building!

I went by there on my way home today. They are now grading the dirt up next to the building. Doesn't look like they have started knocking down the structure yet, maybe getting ready to do it very soon.

Jan

Comment

Jan--

Thanx. Here's one of the pix of my Lark at the foundry last May...the ground was really boggy and Eric was certain we were going to get mired, but the Lark was able to creep gingerly on out!

S.

Comment

Thanks!! Ill be watching my mail box.
                      Jim, I saw that the other day by the foundry. No demoiltion yet. They are doing work along the road with underground pipes. A while back they were along the West wall of the foundry with a ditch witch laying pipe. No worries... Yet.
                      That's an awesome pic! Looks like you almost got stuck in stamping plant dirt...
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

That was a fun day in South Bend stomping around in Studebaker history. And I can say I was there.

Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X