One more goes down under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more goes down under

After trying for the last 7-8 months to move this really nice 53 Starliner total rust free 289 v-8 and 3 speed with no luck I have sold it to a member in Australia, I can not figure out why people will pay more for a rust bucket that needs so much to get it even to be a driver and then pass on this one, had it on e-bay 3 times and poor response, next week it goes to the shipper for the trip out of the country.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Looks like someone is getting a nice car. I put in a bid on that car during the first or second Ebay auction as an attempt to get the bids up, but I obviously wasnt successful. Do you still have that 1964 Daytona hardtop with the rusty roof for sale? I may be looking to buy such a car this coming year as a body donor.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Hi, Bob,

Two thoughts:

1. For many enthusiasts, the dream always has more power than the reality. The owner of one of the world's best restoration shops told me he would never restore a car on spec. "They always have a vision for the car different than what I'd build."

2. Agreed, if one wanted a turquoise custom '53 with a standard shift 3-speed, yours would have been the one to buy. However, obviously, that combination didn't push many hot buttons. Maybe too custom for the restoration crowd and not enough bling for the custom rodders?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
        I can not figure out why people will pay more for a rust bucket that needs so much to get it even to be a driver and then pass on this one
        Jack beat me to it.

I saw that car when you first listed it. Personally I do not like the color, or the painted bumpers and grilles, or the interior, or the wheels/caps. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the combination, and has nothing to do with condition. I don't remember your price, but if I'm looking for a keeper, I've got the price, plus shipping, plus repaint, plus interior, plus replating; and that's all before I get to whatever may need attention. Only sensible plan is to wait for a different one. As Jack says, if it's already done in the color/combo you'd like, you'll buy; but I didn't care for it; and I'd bet the percentage that likes it as is is small.

Another thing is the question of what the condition is under that repaint. If I ask you what the REAL condition is I know I can trust you because I know you; but most people don't. So there's an added problem- if I don't mind the colors, what's underneath? Hard saying from a stranger. So in many cases, people figure it's better to get an unrestored car and do the work, since then they'll know for sure what's underneath. Sure, it often doesn't work out for the uninitiated, but that's the logic. Also, plenty of folks want one but can't afford (or don't want) to come up with thousands in a lump sum; so they figure it makes more sense to but a cheap one and fix it up as money allows. Again, it frequently doesn't work out as planned, but it's popular logic.

So, all those things, in any number of combinations, can easily combine to turn away a potential buyer. It's the risk of selling a customized car.

Think of the ugliest, tackiest custom you've ever seen... then remember, somebody thought it was a good idea.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That would look like a different car if the roof was white and the chrome was chrome.

Comment

I know what most of you are saying is true but bottom line like JP says nothing cheap about a cheap Avanti, I think that goes for most other Studebakers also, and 53-54 in general, paint in most cases is not a real big issue when it comes to a rust free total car, pay some one to put in floors and trunk and the bucks add up, even if you install your own as most can not do the parts will add up fast, I will not disclose the selling price but you go out and buy that rusty project car that does not run and has no brakes and in about a month you will have way more in it then this one sold for, same goes for the painted bumpers and some painted chrome, the painted chrome on this car is much better than the beat up pot metal you get now days on the rusty projects still out there for the taking.and how many of the rusty projects ever get done?? over the years I can not count how many dreams of other people I have ended up with just because a dream is just that when it comes to most car projects, when on e-bay and only going about $5,000.00 for a car like this is nuts, here is a couple of more pictures of what went down under.

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Nice looking car, hope to see it in the flesh in the near future.

Comment

Bob, you asked why it didn't sell for more and we gave our opinions. Also, we're completely agreeing with you it was an exceptional condition car. However, the way it was painted just didn't click with the buying public. Bottom line: the market decides what a car is worth. If I didn't already have three projects underway, I'd probably have been a buyer, turquoise or not. To me, that it didn't have a small block Chevrolet, 700R4 and a Fatman clip would have been big pluses. To most custom guys, not so.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I like the paint scheme, just not in the market for another Studebaker. I was going
                  the same direction with my '60 Hawk before totaling it. The plan was all white. The
                  color is interesting, I think with a nice set of wheels it would have really set it off.

It just didnt find a buyer here as quick as you wanted to sell it.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    After trying for the last 7-8 months to move this really nice 53 Starliner total rust free 289 v-8 and 3 speed with no luck I have sold it to a member in Australia, I can not figure out why people will pay more for a rust bucket that needs so much to get it even to be a driver and then pass on this one, had it on e-bay 3 times and poor response, next week it goes to the shipper for the trip out of the country.

So, is my mate Ian MacKellar in Melbourne the man with a smile on his face?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Jim, ask him. or it might be Brian, or Tony, or Leon, or Dave just a few that I have dealt with in Studebakers, see you in Springfield???
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Working...
                      X