STP Antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STP Antifreeze

I stopped for coffee at the gas station here today, and this was on the rack:

It just showed up recently, so now you can put STP oil treatment and STP antifreeze into your Studebaker . That's another thing, they also claim it can be used in older vehicles, light trucks, and diesels, and can last 2 years or 80,000 miles. All I know is if I have to stop here in an emergency, I have a semi related Studebaker option on the rack .

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

According to the display rack, it only costs $2.99 a container and can also be used as windshield washer fluid!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Nevermind that, they just stuck that on the first available rack, which was on the washer bottle rack outside. Most likely once things get settled, it will get it's own display and pricetag.
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Nevermind that, I'm going to use Splash windshield washer fluid in my cooling system from now on. At only $2.99 a gallon, how can one go wrong?!!

As for the STP antifreeze, I hear its a great way to increase the viscosity and lubricity of your coolant! Whoa, just kidding, put the guns down!
        Last edited by Milaca; 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The washer fluid works well for diluting paint for my model trains airbrush, but as far as cooling systems, well I'll leave that to someone else to try it. As far as the antifreeze, from previous experience, it's definitely not going to be 2.99, lol.

Comment

A few weekends ago NAPA's conventional AF was under 10 bucks/gallon at the store in Nasua NH.

Comment

With my, and others, bad experience with STP oil (not oil treatment), I will not be trying other new STP products.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The STP brand recently changed hands. There is a link with Prestone in their recent corporate history. Tattered web, and all that.
                So I guess there's no bleach in it, anyway?

Comment

No, it's just ordinary ethylene and diethylene glycol with an STP sticker on it . STP did pick up Recochem Inc during the Clorox acquisition, which is supplying the antifreeze. It's not much more than just plain antifreeze with an STP tag on it. I would also add to look out for STP branded windshield washer as well, because STP will be supplying that as well.

Comment

I don't think so. Recochem makes stuff for a lot of firms. They had a contract with Clorox as a "private-label" STP supplier, but I don't think they were acquired. Clorox just "de-acquisitioned" STP to Avista Capital Partners.
                    The antifreeze could very well still be by Recochem, though. It must be good antifreeze: it's Canadian. Up there, water won't even freeze til it gets to Zero -- and the gallons are bigger, too.

Comment

Yeah that's right, now I remember that post. Either way I'm not expecting anything too spectacular in the jug other than just being regular antifreeze. LOL, water freezes at 0, that's good, it will also freeze at 273 degrees as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X