Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Super Clipper Panama

This thing is beautiful to me.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Wow, that sure is!! and from the pics, seems well worth the selling price especially if you figure what buying one and bringing it to that condition would cost.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      Wow, that sure is!! and from the pics, seems well worth the selling price especially if you figure what buying one and bringing it to that condition would cost.
      Those V8 Packards seem to be a good buy. I don't know that a comparable-condition '55 Studebaker Hardtop could have been bought at that low of a price.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
        Those V8 Packards seem to be a good buy. I don't know that a comparable-condition '55 Studebaker Hardtop could have been bought at that low of a price.
        Right-O, Bill. Whoever bought this car should be happy with it; it's a fine, striking 1950s cruiser that was downright cheap in the big scheme of things. Especially if it was originally a California car and has never been rusty.

Important that it has Torsion-Level suspension. That was an extra-cost option on 1955 Clipper DeLuxes and Supers, such as this Super Panama hardtop. In 1955, the only Clipper series with Torsion-Level suspension standard equipment was the Custom Series, which included the Constellation hardtop.

A nice car in good colors, bought right! BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 11-25-2010, 05:07 AM.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That is indeed a beautiful car. A guy that used to be in our chapter had one of those in two toned blue. The interesting thing was that it had a three speed overdrive tranny. Verty unusual from what he said. He also had another one in need of restoration that also was a three speed overdrive car. That car certainly was a lovely one.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            That is indeed a beautiful car. A guy that used to be in our chapter had one of those in two toned blue. The interesting thing was that it had a three speed overdrive tranny. Verty unusual from what he said. He also had another one in need of restoration that also was a three speed overdrive car. That car certainly was a lovely one.
            If I am not mistaken, Joe, aren't / weren't manual-transmission cars more common in the south, at least in the 1950s and 1960s?

I went to the Fall Carlisle Swap Meet every year for about 15 years before we started participating in The Pure Stock Drags, and it seemed like a disproportionate number of the "factory stick" cars for sale came up from the south. It was always a treat to see them.

One year, my Hudson friend Larry Kennedy, with whom I always went to Carlisle, bought a 1969 Plymouth Fury 4-door hardtop at Carlisle with a 318 V-8 / factory column three-speed combination, up from one of the Carolinas, IIRC. You just never saw anyhting that unusual in the midwest, period. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              That was an extra-cost option on 1955 Clipper DeLuxes and Supers, such as this Super Panama hardtop. In 1955, the only Clipper series with Torsion-Level suspension standard equipment was the Custom Series, which included the Constellation hardtop.
              Hmmm...sounds like the trim levels were a direct OPPOSITE of Studeaker's. I take it the Custom was the top of the line in Packard, and the DeLuxe was the lowest? I wonder how many salesmen at dualled S-P dealerships got them mixed up!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Hmmm...sounds like the trim levels were a direct OPPOSITE of Studeaker's. I take it the Custom was the top of the line in Packard, and the DeLuxe was the lowest? I wonder how many salesmen at dualled S-P dealerships got them mixed up!!

Craig
                That's exactly right, Craig!

1955/1956 Clipper DeLuxe: cheapest. 1955/1956 Clipper Custom: Top-Line.

Good observation you made. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  If I am not mistaken, Joe, aren't / weren't manual-transmission cars more common in the south, at least in the 1950s and 1960s?

I went to the Fall Carlisle Swap Meet every year for about 15 years before we started participating in The Pure Stock Drags, and it seemed like a disproportionate number of the "factory stick" cars for sale came up from the south. It was always a treat to see them.

One year, my Hudson friend Larry Kennedy, with whom I always went to Carlisle, bought a 1969 Plymouth Fury 4-door hardtop at Carlisle with a 318 V-8 / factory column three-speed combination, up from one of the Carolinas, IIRC. You just never saw anyhting that unusual in the midwest, period. BP
                  I really have never thought about standard transmissions being more common in one section of the country than others. Interesting thought though. (Maybe they need the higher performance in the South to run "shine."
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

LOL! I would have bet money that this post would be a giant Palma Magnet! I just knew that when I read the title.

This really IS a very beautiful car though, if I could just get past the undependibility of the Torsion-level Suspension, I think I could own one.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This car is located about 5 miles from me. If anyone is interested and wants an in-person appraisal, I might could get over there

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        LOL! I would have bet money that this post would be a giant Palma Magnet! I just knew that when I read the title.

This really IS a very beautiful car though, if I could just get past the undependibility of the Torsion-level Suspension, I think I could own one.
                        I'll disagree on the Torsion-Level suspension, Rich. The only element that really gave trouble was the controller under the car. Rebuilt units are now available with updated electronic components inside, so it's no big deal.

Another variable is the fact that there are many grease fittings toward the rear of the car for several pivot points of the self-leveling mechanism. These were rarely greased by everyday lube "techs" because they didn't even know -or care that- they were there. As a result, the system can bind and behave improperly.

But most of the time, you can 'bust loose the "frozen" grease fittings and they'll take grease and be fine. BP

Comment

I notice in the description it says "questions, call Jay". No doubt a Jay Leno car!
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...