PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring my '52 question

terrymb
04-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm in the process of rewiring my 52 Commander and I noticed a small braided wire hanging near the + post of the battery attached to the front of the car. Is this supposed to be attached to the + post or to somewhere else? Is there any real advantage to having multiple grounds? Also, in rewiring the headlights, the connector is labelled Drive and Pass and Ground. Is the Drive for "Brights"? The original wires have lost all their color.
Thanks.
Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

52 Ragtop
04-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Grounds? Did someone say grounds? Ask Dave Lester about grounds, (sorry Dave, couldn't resist) <G>
On a 6 volt, pos. ground, you can never have enough grounds! Also, be sure to make a new ground wire on the engine, right side to the block. Somebody, (I think on this forum) mentioned to also run the ground wire from the battery to the starter bolt, less resistance (instead of the water pump manifold bolt. Never use an exhaust manifold bolt for a ground.
I have a 289 with a flight o matic in my 52, and it's 6 volt pos. ground. cranks just fine.

Jim

rockne10
04-26-2007, 11:36 PM
The majority of electrical problems are caused by poor ground. If you have only one, and there is any problem with it, everything suffers. Multiple grounds never hurt. Keep them clean and tight.

Buddy1944
04-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Terry, yes the "PASS" are the bright lights. You may already know that the contacts in the lamp connector can be removed and the new wire soldered in place, just did mine...

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr
Warner Robins, GA 31088
478-953-3077