Studebaker (Avanti) in print- Clive Cussler novel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker (Avanti) in print- Clive Cussler novel

Recently I have been re-reading some of my old Clive Cussler novels. For those of you who don't know him, he has written a series of novels about undersea adventures, his most famous being "Raise the Titanic". He is also a SERIOUS car collector. He often features one of his more exotic cars in his stories. Anyhow, I was re-reading "Dragon" from 1990. Mid way through the story he has two main characters arriving at their hotel in Los Vegas in their Avanti convertible.
    In his serious collection he does have four Studebakers of the 75 or so cars he has- a '53 Commander Starliner, a '55 Speedster, a '57 Golden Hawk and a '63 Avanti. Unfortunately, in his museum website ( http://www.cusslermuseum.com/)
    he doesn't show any of the Studebakers, but does list the '63 Avanti as a featured car.
    One of his fans has taken pictures of all his cars and the Studebakers are in this url- http://www.numa.net/car_collection/group9.html
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Great taste in cars...if I had to have four post-war Studebakers, it would be those four.
    And a 64 Wagonaire on the side...
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hi Paul,
      It has been a while since we crossed paths. I had completely forgotten that. I remember throwing the mind into neutral ad throwing it into that book years ago and remember that section. Oddly enough I went up to the shed to see if I could start my Avanti Convertible today and it died as soon as I hit the ignition. I haven't driven it in two years so I should not expect too much, but I was thinking about using it for a change next year

Later
      Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
      1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
      1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
      1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
      1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
      1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment