Adding Power Brakes to 65 Daytona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Power Brakes to 65 Daytona?

I have a 65 Dayton w/o power brakes. Any suggestions on best way (lowest cost) how to go about adding power brakes? Best place to get the parts, what parts I will need. Does anyone sell a "power brakes "add on kit"? I do understand that I will need a booster and a new shaft of some sort, plus a vacuum line. That's about the extent of my power brakes knowledge. Thanks for your help ahead of time. Oh yes, is this better left to the pros?

Dick Riley aka Mattzdad
    Dick Riley aka Mattzdad

I might have a booster in my stash of stuff. I'll have a look later.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's not exactly the same as a Stude, but I had an old F*rd pickup truck for a while that didn't have power brakes when I got it. All I bought for the thing was the booster, the vacuum hose, and a fitting to connect the hose to the vacuum system. All in all, it was a couple hours of fairly painless work.

Now what I want to know is, how without reengineering the whole darn car does one add a power booster to a Stude with the old "under the floor" style master cylinder? I'n not really looking to do this, but I would imagine it's simply impossible.

--------
      Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by somecallmejim
        Now what I want to know is, how without reengineering the whole darn car does one add a power booster to a Stude with the old "under the floor" style master cylinder? I'n not really looking to do this, but I would imagine it's simply impossible.
        Stude offered power brakes on their cars with underfloor master cylinders from the 50's through 1964 (actually from the 40's in trucks). They used a remote hydrovac system. Here's one in my '63 Hawk...

Aftermarket systems like this are available if you want to do a little re-engineering...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
        X