Electronic Ignition info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Ignition info needed.

I am gonna change out my old points, condensor and coil for an electronic conversion one on my 62 GT 289 and am open to suggestions on a manufacturer and type . I have seem Mallory and Petronix on the net.
    One question I have is...does my ignition system have an external or internal resistor and how do I find out?

If you still have a pink wire connected to the positive terminal on the coil, you still have a ballast resistor connected. The pink wire is the resistor ans should have somewhere around 1.5 to 1.8 ohms resistance. If your car has a tach, the other end of the pink wire is connected to the tach sending unit and without a tach the pink wire is connected directly to the ignition switch. Bud

Comment

As of last year, Pertronix didnt make a unit for the single-points Prestolite distributor. You can swap out your Prestolite for an older Delco unit as Pertronix makes a unit for that.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I have a Prestolite with a Pertronix setup. I know nothing about it as it came with the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          I have a Prestolite with a Pertronix setup. I know nothing about it as it came with the engine.
          Is it an 'R' series engine? A year ago when I checked, Pertronix units were only available for the dual-points Prestolite. Perhaps someone found a way to make one work in a single-points Prestolite?
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You too can be an expert:
            I wanted to share with the forum some trouble shooting issues I encountered regarding the Mopar Conversion I did on a Holly distributor. Hopefully this will help someone avoid my year long mis-diagnosis. Preface: My Scout is worked extensively off road on our small farm and a joint 600...
            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

JC Whitney has these in stock...but I am just a bit confused as to Tapered and Parallel.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

8 Cylinder Mallory - Electronic Ignitor Breaker Point Conversion Kit SKU #:
              1JA 076973
              Mfr. #:
              ML-181 Ships in 7 - 10 days Kit $87.99
              View More Details on this SKU Add to Cart

Prestolite 8 Cylinder Electronic Ignitor Breaker Point Conversion Kit - Parallel SKU #:
              1JA 076974
              Mfr. #:
              1581.0 Ships on 11/26/10 Kit $87.99
              View More Details on this SKU Add to Cart

Prestolite 8 Cylinder Electronic Ignitor Breaker Point Conversion Kit - Tapered SKU #:
              1JA 076975
              Mfr. #:
              1582.0 Ships in 7 - 10 days Kit $87.99

Comment

Just found this one:

Gonna eat some turkey now!

Comment

The Jegs part number covers both the Delco and Prestolite distributors both 6 and 12 volt, so the part number can't be correct for the 62 to 64 single point Prestolite distributors. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    Is it an 'R' series engine? A year ago when I checked, Pertronix units were only available for the dual-points Prestolite. Perhaps someone found a way to make one work in a single-points Prestolite?
                    No. It's a '63 259 with what was a single point Prestolite.

I may have lied. It's been a year since I looked underneath the dist. cap, but I thought I remembered seeing "Pertronix" written on the pickup. Oh, well. Anybody know what type of ignition system I have?

Last edited by mbstude; 11-25-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Support your local Studebaker Vendor. Call Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker - (937) 878-1576. He can definitively tell you what Pertronix are available, usually has them in stock and is usually less expensive than the catalogs.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

The distributor has been modified to use the Chrysler type electronic ignition parts. I don't know if anyone is still doing those conversions as most people installing an electronic ignition in a Studebaker are using the Pertronix parts. I also don't know if the advance curve and total advance from the Chrysler parts will give as good performance as the advance curve that the Studebaker engineers specified when our engines were designed.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Support your local Studebaker Vendor. Call Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker - (937) 878-1576. He can definitively tell you what Pertronix are available, usually has them in stock and is usually less expensive than the catalogs.

jack vines
                          I tried to call them this moring after I went to their website and no answer but was able to leave a message. Saw no ignition parts on their catalog...may have not been able to update it yet.

I also tried Chris Collins out here in the Phoenix area on their website and saw no ignition parts there either.

I seem to be dead in the water once again.

I will not give up on this project until I have exhausted the resourses here.

Comment

Working...
                          X