Reedsville Reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reedsville Reaction

Unfortunately I couldn't make it this year and am curious how it went?

How was the croud? Were things selling, how were prices? How was the weather, etc?
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

The meet was great as always. Possibly a few less Studebakers driving there as in past years but still quite a few and there were parts galore. The outside pavillion was completley full this year and the building was about 90% full. It was not overcrowded but still people were there walking the aisles and buying parts. It was not a football weekend but all of the hotels in the area were completely sold out. We had not been to the meet in 2 years and noticed that some of the old time dealers were no longer there. I had come to find out that many of them have passed on or can no longer attend for medical reasons.
    Friday nights gathering at the open house at Max Corkins restoration shop was a blast with Max's music group playing that raw screaming soul music from the 1960's that many of us remember. Max can still rock and his band plays the soul style very well. Max has been and still is a fine host and a true gentleman. It is only through Max efforts that we still have the Nov show in Reedsville. Lets hope that Max lives forever so that we can keep enjoying the meet.
    We had a great time buying Studebaker parts, dining on Amish food, and enjoying the beautiful incredible scenery in central Pennsylvania. We hope to be back again next year, the good Lord willing!

Dennis LaGrua
    1966 Commander 6 cyl w factory A/C

Comment

Originally posted by dlagrua View Post
      The meet was great as always. Possibly a few less Studebakers driving there as in past years but still quite a few and there were parts galore. The outside pavillion was completley full this year and the building was about 90% full. It was not overcrowded but still people were there walking the aisles and buying parts. It was not a football weekend but all of the hotels in the area were completely sold out. We had not been to the meet in 2 years and noticed that some of the old time dealers were no longer there. I had come to find out that many of them have passed on or can no longer attend for medical reasons.
      Friday nights gathering at the open house at Max Corkins restoration shop was a blast with Max's music group playing that raw screaming soul music from the 1960's that many of us remember. Max can still rock and his band plays the soul style very well. Max has been and still is a fine host and a true gentleman. It is only through Max efforts that we still have the Nov show in Reedsville. Lets hope that Max lives forever so that we can keep enjoying the meet.
      We had a great time buying Studebaker parts, dining on Amish food, and enjoying the beautiful incredible scenery in central Pennsylvania. We hope to be back again next year, the good Lord willing!

Dennis LaGrua
      1966 Commander 6 cyl w factory A/C
      And the creek don't rise!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Hi Dan! It was my first time there, I thought it was great. Spent all I brought with me, could have kept going had I not set a limit. Talked with lots of nice folks, will definetly go back. Thanks again for picking up my parts at South Bend, I owe you one.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I had a great time as always and for some reason I alawys find something to collect, or use on my cars, can't wait for next year!

Comment

Obvious absence of Phil Brown, Ed Reynolds and Leonard Shephard. Still an enthusiastic core, with many newcomers.
            As a first time vendor I encountered many who were there as first time buyers.
            I've attended for thirty-five years and seen it's character change. It's more intimate than York. Also seems to be the place where sheet metal and chrome shows up that never appears at York.
            Not crowded but full of Studebaker spirit.
            The professional vendors' prices remain professional and they get it because they deserve it. Those of us ridding ourselves of unneeded parts probably realized twenty cents on the dollar; good deals for the buyer and good news for Studebaker preservation.
            Frosty early mornings with temperatures inside and out requiring jackets. Restrooms ran out of paper towels late Saturday morning.
            All-in-all, I would guess, with the expenses involved, no business man with the goal of profitability would consider attending; and no-one needing parts, expertise or camaraderie would pass it by.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well said Brad.
              Swap Meets are going the way of the Dinasour since the inception of eBay. But they are still the place to see old friends and get some visting in a few times a year.
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I'm with Dennis and Brad. I thought it was great! Jim Lawrence and a couple others said spending was down; hope it picks up again. For me it's about the cars and parts, but mostly about the people! Loved the couple days away from work, and the area is gorgeous; delivered some parts for members, picked up the lift from JDP's place, had good food, and a great time partying at Max's. Already looking forward to next year!
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm at the point where I go to a meet like Reedsville not because I'm looking for something in particular (well, OK, Jamie from PA no longer had the NOS red front floormats for a Lark I wanted back at York last spring but he wanted to trade for black ones at that time), but for the fun.

A friend has said he likes Reedsville better than York. I used to scoff, but I'd probably have to agree.

I had a great time seeing folks I don't see but once or twice a year--too many to mention--and the countryside and drive across 80 and up from Reedsville is just beautiful. I like that part of the state, and Max Corkins' shop, with beer and snacks for free or donation, and great '60's band, is a lot of fun. You have to see Max's building and car collection to believe it! Thanks also to Jim B., alias "Rerun" on the forum, for having several of us out to his and Rosemary's place for visiting and libations Friday night too.

I saw Bob A. and PeterHawk from the Forum and had good visits with both!

Reedsville, to me, is the perfect way to have one last Stude "fling" before winter.
                  Last edited by Bill Pressler; 11-22-2010, 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                    Well said Brad.
                    Swap Meets are going the way of the Dinasour since the inception of eBay. But they are still the place to see old friends and get some visting in a few times a year.
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    The advent of online purchasing like eBay has in fact put a crimp in the swap meet attractiveness but I'd have to agree that the meet is not just about parts but about the great people that you will meet there. The location is in a beautiful area and there are farm food stands, Amish food, antiques and lots of other fun things.

Comment

Working...
                    X