PDA

View Full Version : 64 GT Hawk steering shimmy shock absorber add-on.

64V-K7
04-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Yesterday and today, I've been working on the front end of the Hawk. The book says zero caster is desired. There is no way I can get it anywhere near zero. I can easily get the 63 spec dialed in tho, which is around -1.25 and the camber to zero. The coil springs turned out to be a 63 HD #, So there was probably more sausage made before I got the car.
I can't believe anything else is physically different between the parts, so can't understand how you can get things down to zero. (that's quite a few pin rotations away).
Any here know for sure if you can get these angles down to zero, without using shims under the arms?
Also, there was a 64' AC-? for retro-fitting a shock absorber and bracket, to the steering bellcrank on Hawks, to eliminate front end shimmy. It may fit other models also. Does anyone have a drawing of one of these or know if there is a unit for sale somewhere?

thks

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

Dwain G.
04-27-2007, 12:12 PM
The steering section of the shop manual has a revised page 12. "1962" is printed at the lower right corner of that page. It shows a caster spec of -1 1/2 to -3 for all Hawks.
Bob, do you have Service Letter S-64-5, November 10, 1964? The shimmy kit was intended for 1962-64 Hawks with power steering. I don't know about an AC number for the kit, just part number 1564322.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

studegary
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Dave Thibeault sells a repop'd version of the dampener kit for Hawks.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

ivorydan
04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Sasco has it as part no. 770271: $89.30.

mike gaines
04-28-2007, 02:34 AM
I have struggled long and hard to correct the front end shimmy on my 58 silverhawk , also could not get castor to zero but by dropping the back end , I was able to get castor closer to zero and steering is now fine , also replaced front shocks which helped a lot . Interetingly I had the shocks tested on the car at the local shock franchise and they said they were fine on two occasions. Only after removing the shocks and checking them physically was I able to see that one shock was very much weaker than the other. Replaced shocks , end of shimmy.I see there is talk of a steering damper , would this fit a 58 ?

64V-K7
04-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks all,
I was using a Motors Manual from 1965 as the alignment guide. It showed the distinct difference between the 63 and earlier and 64 models. (I should have looked in the Stude Shop manual to cross check)
:(

and.....

(this is wild) Early, yesterday AM, I went down for my daily treadmill jog and put the usual 3-4 copies of Turning Wheels on the bar to browse, while underway....
The first issue was April 1997 and guess what the Fred Fox article was.... 1964 GT Hawks. It had all the info , numbers and everything. I later went online and found the steering attachment, like you said at Sasco. [:p] Great Studebaker day..

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg