Vehicle serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle serial numbers

On my 1955 Commander coupe are these numbers anywhere on the car other than the Drivers door hinge post? The plate on the post is smooth and can't be read. Haven't try chemicals to bring out the numbers yet. If the numbers are some place else would make it easier. Thanks

Comment

thanks Ill check under the car tomorrow will also look alot closer on the hinge post

Comment

Originally posted by bob1944 View Post
        On my 1955 Commander coupe are these numbers anywhere on the car other than the Drivers door hinge post? The plate on the post is smooth and can't be read. Haven't try chemicals to bring out the numbers yet. If the numbers are some place else would make it easier. Thanks
        Re-check on your A-pillar serial number plate. Even if all of the paint has been removed, you should be able to read the numbers. The numbers are stamped into the plate. Studebaker used an I for a 1. A 1955 Commander coupe should be seven numerical digits starting with an eight (8). The body tag under the hood on the cowl should be either 16G8-C3 or 16G8-C5 (Deluxe or Regal) with the particular body assembly number below that.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Turns out the number on the pillar were 8391667, and the fire wall numbers were 16G C3, 1979. With this I'll send to the Studebaker museum and get the original build date and other info.

Comment

Originally posted by bob1944 View Post
            Thanks for all the help. Turns out the number on the pillar were 8391667, and the fire wall numbers were 16G C3, 1979. With this I'll send to the Studebaker museum and get the original build date and other info.
            That is about one-quarter of the way through the 1955 model year production in South Bend and you have Deluxe, not Regal, trim level.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X