PDA

View Full Version : engine oil

RL Elder
11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi I am rebuilding a 1963 259 cid engine what would be a good oil to run in it

StudeRich
11-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Here is one of maybe a hundred posts on the subject found with the "Search" window at the right top of the page.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?43585-What-oil-to-use&highlight=zddp

Pay particular attention to what our esteemed Turning Wheels SDC Monthly Publication, Co-Operator Column Technical Editor Bob Palma says here.

Oh, and WELCOME to SDC and to the SDC Forum! If you are not already a Member, our membership Application is at the top of these pages and will give you a first year discount, so you too can share in the best Car Club and Monthly Publication out there!

RL Elder
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks I just need to look for the CI rating on the can right ?

irish
11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
The new motor oils are generally considered deficient in zinc. Re-read the post above by 'StudeRich'. If you are asking about viscosity that's determined by the engine clearances (bearings, valves) and temperature. It's a widely held belief that newer engines are built with tighter clearances then older engines...but that's not true! If your engine is rebuilt properly then I would recommend a 10W-30 weight oil. Avoid 15W-40, 20W-50 types of oil. Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks I just need to look for the CI rating on the can right ?

RL Elder
11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Got it STAY AWAY FROM CJ thanks for the help

StudeRich
11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
The CI Diesel Oil is no longer available, so you need to buy regular oil and add ZDDPlus or Redline break-in ZDDP additive!

Some people are using Valvoline Racing (for street use) in the Silver Can, or Brad Penn Oil from the old used to be, Kendall refinery, as it already has enough ZDDP.

RL Elder
11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the help

JimsLeadCommander
11-18-2010, 11:52 PM
[I]I would recommend using Amsoil 100% synthetic oil since it beats all the compitetion in wear tests and longivity[in all kinds of temperatures. Old and new engines run better and last longer with synthetic Amsoil. It's been around since 1972./I]

Mike Van Veghten
11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Ah yes...good ol Amsoil...!
ANY full synthic will work well. I run Mobil I in my vehicles that don't leak......! Though I'm trying Royal Purple in one of my bikes.

I use Castrol GTX and a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer.
Have for many years in my "daily driver" 259 Lark wagon. When I say "daily driver"...it IS my only car (beside my 54 Conestoga which isn't a daily driver !). I've had NO..oil related problems in the 8-ish years I've been driving the wagon. This includes short trips to the store and long trips (350 miles) to drag races twice a year.

Again, no problems here with this oil combination.

Mike