Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHD Power Steering Ram Required 1963 GT Hawk

Hi All,

A friend requires a new (rebuilt?) power steering ram for his 1963 GT Hawk. Apparently his unit failed recently and was repaired but he wishes to get another one and all avenues in Australia have been unable to assist him.

He could get a new one made but wishes to avoid the expense if someone can supply one - although it needs to be for a RHD hawk.

The units were made in Australia by Monroe-Wylie (now Tenneco Australia) and Ray said it could be an Eaton unit.

He'd post this himself but has password issues and seems to have given up on the forums, I suggested a word to Bob, "done that still no good" so that seems to be that.

Can anyone assist???
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

I would assume the ram is the same for right or left hand drive. The thing
    is, I have never seen the RHD setup. I am basing that off the knowledge
    Studebaker wasnt rolling in the cash in those days to have a new part for
    RHD applications. Anyone have a picture or exploded view of a RHD?

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

At first I was thinking 'just flip it over' But I got to thinking the part with the fittings for the hoses would have to be different. Then again, custom hoses may fix that problem....... I'd like to see a RHD unit also.

Comment

My parts catalog indicates part number 1551362 for all models Bendix, without specification for RH or LH drive. No listing for Eaton.
        Kanter can rebuild them but then, there's the expense.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Guys, I'll have to check with Ray, however feel it's probably best he gets one made here, surely an engineering firm can make one?
          John Clements

Comment

so which is it?

Is it special for RHC or not? By the way, the ram is the easiest part of the whole power steering system to rebuild and I could see it fitting RHC and LHC. Are you sure you don't mean the control valve?

I have done it many times and I have cores on the shelf. The other parts like the control valve and pump require the most labor.

Comment

If its the control valve, my rebuild process is on Bob Johnstones website.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Gee you lot are impatient. I haven't asked Ray yet, I was going to suggest that since he has the bits he should get one made here. In any case, without a manufacturers name and model number, I don't see how we can proceed further. I'll pass on the information and it's up to him to check out.
                John Clements

Comment

I received this today, maybe someone can help as unit appears to be a Bendix.

Hi John,
                  Thanks for the information there are some nice people out there. .I have a wanted ad next month in Stude News and will see what that produces in Australia .In the meantime i will try and get a part number ".Its a bit like trying to get a part no for a 259 motor." as the ram in question does appear in the Studebaker shop shop manual under Bendix power steering under Steering page 30-32 so it is definitely a bendix part. Looking at the illustration Fig 64 it would appear it Right hand drive is not applicable as it would fit both RH and LH so delete right hand drive part so as not to confuse.
                  Int stude parts do not list but you would think someone would know something about a source or even a second hand one
                  I put ram back on today and went for a spin around block SLOWLY but appears to work ok so now have to fix up leaks..
                  Thanks again i will try to get on forum again.
                  Ray.
                  John Clements

Comment

Just to clarify, the ram used on Ray's Hawk, and any other RHD 1958-66 Studebaker that has power steering is exactly the same as used on left hand drive cars.

Since Studebaker never produced power steering for RHD cars (although engineering photos exist) regular LHD power steering systems have to be modified for use on RHD cars, however the ram, control valve and pump do not require modification. A good used ram from any 1958-66 Studebaker will fit correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      Just to clarify, the ram used on Ray's Hawk, and any other RHD 1958-66 Studebaker that has power steering is exactly the same as used on left hand drive cars.

Since Studebaker never produced power steering for RHD cars (although engineering photos exist) regular LHD power steering systems have to be modified for use on RHD cars, however the ram, control valve and pump do not require modification. A good used ram from any 1958-66 Studebaker will fit correctly.
                      The majority of power steering kits fitted to Australian Hawks were put together by Paton Brakes back in the sixties here in Melbourne. I resealed my Eaton ram 2 years ago using a PST001 (1553403) Bendix kit. It has not leaked in the 3000 kms travelled since. Hope this helps the South Australian owner of the '63 GT if problems persist.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                      X