Head swap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head swap???

Is it true that a head off of a 60 Lark L6 will give a significant compression increase if installed on a 185??
    Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Could be true. I purchased an NOS earlier Champion head a few years back and the combustion chambers were significantly deeper than my 59 170's. I wanted a lower compression head because I wanted to turbo it at a later date.

Comment

NO...it is not true, while a 1960 170 C.I. does have higher compression than the 185 the pistons are different. You will only get about a 1/4 point increase by switching the heads. The best way to increase compression on that engine is to mill the head and/or bore the cylinders. Now with that said IMHO the 1960 head is a somewhat better head than the original on a 185. Hope this helps.

Joe
      Originally posted by cycledog View Post
      Is it true that a head off of a 60 Lark L6 will give a significant compression increase if installed on a 185??
      Last edited by irish; 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM.
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
        NO...it is not true, while a 1960 170 C.I. does have higher compression than the 185 the pistons are different. You will only get about a 1/4 point increase by switching the heads. The best way to increase compression on that engine is to mill the head and/or bore the cylinders. Now with that said IMHO the 1960 head is a somewhat better head than the original on a 185. Hope this helps.

Joe
        Werll I'm the first to say I'm no expert, but you are increasing the displacement by 8.8%, so wouldn't the CR increase by 8.8% (or close to it) as well?
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Unfortunately Ron, like most things in life, it isn't that simple. But their are some simple math formulas to calculate the new compression ratios, to calculate how much to mill or bore to acheive a certain comp. ratio etc. You can find the formulas online.

Joe
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

Unfortunately Ron, like most things in life, it isn't that simple. But their are some simple math formulas to calculate the new compression ratios, to calculate how much to mill or bore to acheive a certain comp. ratio etc. You can find the formulas online.

Joe
            OK, not knowing the size of the combustion chamber, the exact deck height, gasket thickness, etc, is there a way to back into an approximate CR?

My reason for asking is the 185 OHV6 I built...Using my guesstimate, the CR would be about 9.25, but you suggest it would be less...how can I find out?

Ron
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Yes there is Ron, If you start with the original factory compression ratio of an OHV 6 (assuming here that the shop manual is correct) 8.3 to 1 you would first calculate for any increase in bore size then you would calcuate for the increase in stroke. Unfortunately it's hard to list the formulas here otherwise I would. I have a book with the formulas, you can email me with what you have and I could tell you the compression ratio.

Joe
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

Yes there is Ron, If you start with the original factory compression ratio of an OHV 6 (assuming here that the shop manual is correct) 8.3 to 1 you would first calculate for any increase in bore size then you would calcuate for the increase in stroke. Unfortunately it's hard to list the formulas here otherwise I would. I have a book with the formulas, you can email me with what you have and I could tell you the compression ratio.

Joe
                Thanks Joe, email sent

Ron
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Ron you have mail.

Joe
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others