1940 champ starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 champ starter

Will a starter from a 40 Champion with overdrive fit a 1955 185 cu.in with overdrive. I learned the hard way that not all starters are the same. I want to install the 185 into the 40 but lack a starter to test the donor motor before it is installed. Or does anyone know where I can locate a starter. Thanks All

My '40 has a little bit more modern OD unit (lark era), but I think that should work.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Is your motor still a 40? I'm wondering about the 185 starter being on the otherside what kinda issues I'll run into? Either way we'll make 'er fit>

Comment

My engine and starter is still 1940; I do believe original to the car. The tranny and OD are the only part of the drive system that was changed. The part that confuses me about this is that I know for 1940, the OD unit was different to be able to fit the X-member of the frame. My car has a T-96 with OD, so the frame was cut. I have only ever been under my '40, so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to look with OD, but I'm pretty sure the starter will work.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I'll keep you posted its good to hear from an old forty fan. I'll look under mine as it is all stock and check out the frame that is good to know as maybe with my swap I might run into similar issues. I Have a 185 with OD tranny from a '55 so I'll check this out before I put it in cuz I ain't wackin' the ol' girl she is too sweet.
          Thanks Doug

Comment

Originally posted by studeluvr View Post
            I'll keep you posted its good to hear from an old forty fan. I'll look under mine as it is all stock and check out the frame that is good to know as maybe with my swap I might run into similar issues. I Have a 185 with OD tranny from a '55 so I'll check this out before I put it in cuz I ain't wackin' the ol' girl she is too sweet.
            Thanks Doug
            I'd like to be kept posted on your project. There aren't many '40s out there. If you could, please post some pics of the underside of your car. I want to know how correct (or incorrect) mine really is...
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
            X