Hawk iinstrument light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk iinstrument light switch

Need a instrument light switch for my 58 Hawk and appears SI is out of them.
    Does anytone know if the switch for a 57 Hawk will work? They do have
    different part #'s..
    Thanks,

Joe D.

Didn't they change to white handles in '58? That might be the difference. If your old handle is good you might be able to carefully disassemble the two switches and swap the handles. (you might even find out that you can fix your old switch. then again, maybe not.)

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

No Nate this is a black-tip, 3-position toggle switch, (center/off , up , down); for dim or bright instr lights. I think most or all
      the early Hawks had these the same type toggle switches.. Just don't know the difference between 57 (which is stil
      available) and the 58 switch (NLA).

Joe D.

Comment

OK then I don't know the difference. Type of connector for the wiring maybe? I know 55-56 used the "bullet" style connectors, did the '58 use faston type connectors?
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Yes, the blade/push-on Faston type connectors; My switch has three connectors; the black/brown line coming from the
          headlight switch and two black wires going out. I've looked at the wiring diagrams and they are no help. In my 58 shop manual supplement, it shows the Instr light switch as only having two connections, like the 56 and 57 Hawls; However,
          I have another version of the wiring diagram for 58 Studes (can't remember where I got it) that shows
          the 3 connectors. I'm thinking if I get a 57 switch it will be lacking one connector? Confusing. The bad part is I got this switch
          from SI (nos) a few years ago, and I remember it was considerably more expensive then for other years. Guess I got the last
          one since it is no longer listed.

Joe

Comment

My inventory sheet shows two 1544274 instrument light switches for 58 C&K in stock. I can go and physically check stock if you want one.
            Last edited by 41 Frank; 11-13-2010, 11:40 AM.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank, I'm interested if you have one available.

email me at Jadiggle@verizon.net or 540-289-8989.
              Thanks,

Joe D.

Comment

I have one Joe. E-mail sent.Turns out all 58 to 62 Hawks use the same switch.
                Originally posted by valleyguy View Post
                Frank, I'm interested if you have one available.

email me at Jadiggle@verizon.net or 540-289-8989.
                Thanks,

Joe D.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                  >>>Turns out all 58 to 62 Hawks use the same switch.
                  I'm about 98.6% sure the '56, '57 & '58 C/K headlight switches all have different color and/or design toggles.

Comment

Well you are 33 1/3 % correct! The '56's have the round black knob with the white dot in the center, similar to the '55 type, on the end of the toggle handle. All the rest from '57 to '64 look the same with tapered Black or White knobs with a stainless cone center.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Well you are 33 1/3 % correct! The '56's have the round black (1) knob with the white dot in the center, similar to the '55 type, on the end of the toggle handle. All the rest from '57 to '64 look the same with tapered Black (2) or White (3) knobs with a stainless cone center.
                      Thank you!!! I believe you just confirmed what I stated in my previous post about three different toggles ...sooo in this part of the country that would make me something like 99 3/3 % correct!

Comment

Working...
                      X