PDA

View Full Version : EBay Avanti

AnAvanti4Bob
11-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Does anybody know anything about this car? I have followed it through at least 7 eBay listings since June 2010 and it has never sold. How does the $28K reserve strike you? Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200540873843&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

StudeMichael
11-12-2010, 06:35 PM
28K is actually the buy it now. There have been recent posts on here about the car. This Avanti does not show well enough to justify 28K.

edpjr
11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I know nothing about this particular vehicle other than what's in the ad and pictures. And, the facts are that Studebaker Avanti's don't seem to be gaining value, despite their relative scarcity. But, I paid straight up $15K for mine 18 months ago and have easily dumped countless hours and over $10K into repairs/refurb and still have work to do. If it's really got 78K miles, the original motor and trans in good shape, and is ready to roll without needing paint/interior, it ain't a bad deal. Avanti parts are expensive. You can always make a lower offer too and see if they bite.

Does anybody know anything about this car? I have followed it through at least 7 eBay listings since June 2010 and it has never sold. How does the $28K reserve strike you? Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200540873843&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Gunslinger
11-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I agree with Ed. Wait until the auction is over...if the car doesn't sell, you can always contact the seller and make an offer. You can always ask him what his reserve is so you have some idea of what he'll settle for (if he tells you the reserve).

When I bought my Avanti I knew what the seller's reserve was and wasn't willing to pay it. After he had no sale on Ebay we negotiated a lower price we were both agreeable with.

stugatsr2
11-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Bob,did you get the pics I sent you of my R2 Avanti? If you did,I am open to offers,if not let me know & I will try again.
Thanks JNP

studegary
11-13-2010, 01:54 PM

I do not know the car. The current bid seems to me to be just below what I think the car should be priced at (about $15K). The $28K is a buy it now price, not reserve, and in my opinion - way too high in today's market.

(S)
11-13-2010, 02:07 PM
This car looks like a 15K Avanti with 6K sprinkled on top. I do not see why its not worth 20K except that the ad is too short and all cars that sit need recent things to make them dependable. I'd want to see things in the ad like recent brakes, power steering hoses and suspension bushings and If I were looking, it would be in my garage. I think 15K is an insult to the car, even in this market.

barnlark
11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Avanti prices seem to defy everyone's expectations when for sale lately...both ways, up and down. I recently found a 1967 Avanti II with only 8K on it, still in the hands of the original owner. It is orange with black interior, 327 engine. It's in near perfect condition and running. What would be the guess that would be worth to you Avanti experts? The family gave a price to make them happy, but I don't have a clue if it's close to the market value.

JDP
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM
No question all the relistings have hurt the bidding. Once the bidders found out the car was north of 20K, they quite bidding. The buy it now gives them a clue the car won't sell for a more realistic 20-22K.

JBOYLE
11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Avanti prices seem to defy everyone's expectations when for sale lately...both ways, up and down. I recently found a 1967 Avanti II with only 8K on it, still in the hands of the original owner. It is orange with black interior, 327 engine. It's in near perfect condition and running. What would be the guess that would be worth to you Avanti experts? The family gave a price to make them happy, but I don't have a clue if it's close to the market value.

IMHO, If a car is in perfect "time warp" shape, the price guides and even recent sales are pretty much worthless. It boils down to how much a guy wants it.
Condition (time is not always kind, even with one-owner and low miles) and perhaps color will have a large role to play. If someone really can't stand the color, with a $10k paint/rubber job it may not be a bargain.
The nice thing about a "II" is you can do anything with it color and interior-wise and get away with it.

edpjr
11-13-2010, 11:28 PM
You're right. $15K for an original R2, low miles, in nice shape with good color (red)? You can't buy a freakin' mini-van for that $$$.

This car looks like a 15K Avanti with 6K sprinkled on top. I do not see why its not worth 20K except that the ad is too short and all cars that sit need recent things to make them dependable. I'd want to see things in the ad like recent brakes, power steering hoses and suspension bushings and If I were looking, it would be in my garage. I think 15K is an insult to the car, even in this market.

edpjr
11-13-2010, 11:43 PM
These cars ain't goin' up in value. But, if you want one, and want it to be right, ya gotta pay. We all know the quote about "cheap Avanti's" and no truer words were ever spoken. Talk to somebody about stripping and painting one for less than $5-7K. Buy a door sill for $195 each, or have a bumper rechromed shipping and all, get an original gas gauge for $175, find a decent R2 4V-AFB for $500-1000, a repro grill that won't fit right for $225, power window motors for $195 each, a gas tank that doesn't need to be refurbed, a 40A prestolite alternator, a dual point distributor, a set of mufflers/pipes, or even an original windshield wiper arm....then start on the interior. Nope, if you can buy one already in top condition, you'll save a jillion dollars on parts and work hours.