Now or later - OIL CHANGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now or later - OIL CHANGE

We, in the NOrtheast, are getting ready to put our cars away for their winter naps and I was just wondering what the prevailing thought was - SHOULD I CHANGE MY OIL BEFORE STORAGE OR WHEN THE CAR WAKES UP IN THE SPRING?
    Peter Bishop

I think that you will find opinions on both sides of this issue and those that say both times. A lot depends on the condition of the oil which is related to how the car was used. Not so much total miles, but was it all short distance, much of it cold engine, running rich due to any reason, water & acids in oil. In other words, if the oil is in excellent condition, I would leave it until Spring (that is what I normally do). For the price of oil, for peace of mind, change it now.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The one thing I do know is that new oil has no contaminants. I can't say that for used oil.

Bob

Comment

Do it NOW! And your Lawn Mower or Lawn Tractor if you have one, as well!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My opinion as well , fall is the time to change oil , grease and clean up the car before putting up for the winter.
          I've followed this procedure for over 25 years and have not had one problem .
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The best time to change your oil is autumn in order to get all the contaminants out of your engine. So, putting fresh oil in your crankcase is the way to go before winter.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

If you have any contaminants in the oil then the bottom of the crank sits in the contaminants. Chg before tucking it away for the winter IMHO.

Originally posted by raprice View Post
              The best time to change your oil is autumn in order to get all the contaminants out of your engine. So, putting fresh oil in your crankcase is the way to go before winter.
              Rog
              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Crikey! Why even have the debate? It takes 15 minutes and 20 dollars to change the oil and filter. Change it now...change it later...change it now...change it later...How many angels can sit on the head of a pin?

Comment

The overwhelming response seems to be to change the oil this Fall. Thanks for all the reponses.
                  Peter Bishop

Comment

I also make sure to run everything up to full operating temps to evaporate any moisture from short trips recently.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep, mine was done about two weeks ago. Nice weather means she's not stored yet though. Going to try to hang on till start of December...drove her to a Remembrance Day service today.

S.

Comment

Changed the oil in the daily rice today, and Sarah will get done this weekend before I take her to the shop for the leaf spring upgrade.
                        That oil probably hasn't gone 1,000 miles,but as a previous poster stated, it's cheap insurance..

Comment

or.....drive the car whenever it rains 2-3 times on salt/snow.....get you money's worth. I always start and move my (nice) cars at least 1-3 times a month to keep brakes, exhaust, PS, heater, etc loose....

Comment

Acids develop in oil when vehicles are lightly used and moisture is not eveporated off.
                            Having these acids rest on soft metals (ie: shell bearings) for months does not do the bearings any good.
                            Oil is used to protect the engine.
                            So, why would you choose to neglect you engine for 4, 5, or 6 months?
                            All in order to 'postpone' a $20 oil change?
                            C'mon..... CASO has it's limits, too.
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I always like to change the oil and filter in the fall before putting the car away for the winter for all the reasons mentioned so far. Now, that reminds me: I have 4 cars that I need to change the oil on!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X