Needs restored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needs restored?

Mike Van V's thread about "frame off" reminded me of one that puzzles me. I frequently see "needs restored". I could understand "needs to be restored" or "needs restoration". Where does this come from?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

That puzzles me, too, Don. Usually refers to cars but accurately describes internet dates who lie about their age by about a decade
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

How about "ran when parked". Isn't that obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
        Mike Van V's thread about "frame off" reminded me of one that puzzles me. I frequently see "needs restored". I could understand "needs to be restored" or "needs restoration". Where does this come from?
        That's a perfectly grammatically correct construction where I grew up (western PA) and is common usage. I don't think I even realized that it wasn't standard English until I started dating a girl from elsewhere while I was in college, and she gave me lots of crap for some of my yunzerisms

nate

(at least I don't say "needs warshed"...)
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by 65cruiser View Post
          How about "ran when parked". Isn't that obvious?
          No, that one I can see. Ran when parked, as opposed to "the engine blew up or seized up, which is why it was parked". Of course, who knows if that's always what is meant? That's the way I'd take it.

You're right about 'needs restored', Don. Just poor use of the language. There's plenty of these, like 'changed out' in place of 'changed', or 'once and a while' in place of 'once in a while'. Kind of like Hendrix' "Scuse me, while I kiss this guy"

Of course, none of it's any crime. Just how it is, I guess.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Man oh man, the cabin fever must be starting early this year. It will be a bloodbath here by February.
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
              Man oh man, the cabin fever must be starting early this year. It will be a bloodbath here by February.
              Doubled my winter order of Sam Adams and popcorn in anticipation of same.

Bob

Comment

It is a holiday. So evryone is being a daytime Forum surfer.
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

How about the seller's line "easy restoration." I've done difficult and I've done impossible, but there is no such animal as an easy restoration. If it was easy, the seller would already have done it and the car would be on Barrett-Jackson.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

The verb "to be" does not exist in Pennsylvania grammar..... I have to deal with this on a regular basis, my wife being from Johnstown.... Myself, having been schooled in New York by Nuns and having a ruler smashed over my knuckles for the slightest infraction, the correct grammar has been indelibly ingrained. I chuckle at most 'country speak' and imagine that Sister Eugene and her 36" wooden Samurai will show up, whenever it's heard in company...
                    Further, "yun'z" is Pennsylvania speak for "y'all. ( you, all - inclusive, plural) ......
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                      The verb "to be" does not exist in Pennsylvania grammar..... I have to deal with this on a regular basis, my wife being from Johnstown.... Myself, having been schooled in New York by Nuns and having a ruler smashed over my knuckles for the slightest infraction, the correct grammar has been indelibly ingrained. I chuckle at most 'country speak' and imagine that Sister Eugene and her 36" wooden Samurai will show up, whenever it's heard in company...
                      Further, "yun'z" is Pennsylvania speak for "y'all. ( you, all - inclusive, plural) ......
                      BTW: A ruler is 12". 36" is a yardstick. Didn't Sister Eugene learn you anything?

Back to the thread topic: I always figured "needs restored" was a way to save money on a classified ad. But I see it used so much today and from reading some descriptions I have begun to wonder if they really mean "It's needs have been restored." IE: Where it was needed, we restored it. (It needed paint and upholstery, we restored that part.)
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Actually, the construct is correct. It is called "passive voice", and is probably a left-over from the low German that was spoken by many Pennsylvanian German immigrants. The actual definition is:

"In passive constructions, the word which would logically be the object under a corresponding active construction functions as the grammatical subject, while the logical subject either is absent or is represented in a prepositional phrase"

In English, it is archaic, but is still correct. Needs is the verb and restored is the object. The "it" is the logical subject, and the "to be" is logically absent. Go find Sister Eugene and smack her with her own yardstick. Restored is used as a gerund.

Forgot to add, it is in future perfect tense.
                        Last edited by whacker; 11-11-2010, 09:15 PM. Reason: added tense

Comment

"Needs restored" is a phrase so grammatically bad, it's fun to use (among car guys that is), and it still appears in serious ads.....

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            How about the seller's line "easy restoration." I've done difficult and I've done impossible, but there is no such animal as an easy restoration. If it was easy, the seller would already have done it and the car would be on Barrett-Jackson.
                            Along those lines, another favorite of mine is seeing a completely worn out car needing every square inch redone with the description, "great Winter project" Even here in the land of crazy-long winters we don't get a couple thousand hours of extra time to restore cars...
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                              That's a contraction of what you here in the western NC mountains, particularly around Madison County (look up Bloody Madison sometime..it's not changed much) anyway, this a hyar is th' way of sayin' it: 'you 'uns'...two syllables. And you 'uns is always welcome to set a spell with we 'uns.
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X