Avanti in Eagle River Wisconsin c 1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti in Eagle River Wisconsin c 1964

I have been collecting Studebaker post cards for over 30 years and have a few thousand (I'm guessing here).
    Of course I have most of the original Studebaker advertising cards going back to the Electrics and the horsedrawn era. Another slightly less popular variety is the street scenes i.e. Studebakers caught in the act of being themselves! In some cases these are even more interesting than the factory cards. In any event it is somewhat unusual to find a typical street scene (or in this case a roadside scene) with an Avanti. This with the turquoise Avanti was taken of the Travelers Inn in Eagle River, Wisconsin sometime in the mid 1960s. I just bought it off an Ebay auction (of course the seller had no idea of the significance of the unusual car sitting under the sign). Anyone have a turquoise Avanti that hails from that general neighborhood?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Richard, I'd say that's an Avanti II. The front wheel opening looks smaller than what I think Studebaker Avantis had--a giveaway of an Avanti II.

There is a '67 full-size Buick in that postcard, so it's at least from fall of '66.

Interesting shot and neat-looking place as well!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Love those roadside pictures. They should be in my postcard thread.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The front wheel opening looks odd. The pirate's belt buckle emblem on the C piller is barley visible. Studebakers had an S, early Avanti II had a solid black insert. There is no front fender Avanti II side marker so my guess, Studebaker.

Comment

I don't know that Studebaker Wheel was asking if it was a Studebaker or a II. In any case, it is a II. Side marker lights on the front fenders would not have been attached until '68. Front wheel well tells us it's a II.

Comment

Richard didn't specifically ask, but placing the photo at '64 says he thought it was a Studebaker. As with Bob Andrews' photos, it's a great photo, regardless.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Jim McCuan's 10K mile Turquoise Avanti is from Minnesota. The Avanti in the post card is obviously from out of town considering it's at a Hotel.

Hey Jim, there's your car.

Comment

Richard, my brothers 63 has been in the Milwaukee area since about 66 or 67, and it is possible to have been in the Eagle River area on several occasions. I'm having lunch with him this p.m. and will question the possibilities. B.V.

Comment

Just wondering...

Would many Avanti IIs have been painted turquoise?
                  I would think that by 66 (the first production IIs, IIRC) the color had lost some favor, at least compared to Studebaker days.
                  Of course, I'm sure N&A had lots of leftover paint...

Any thoughts on the issue?
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    Just wondering...

Would many Avanti IIs have been painted turquoise?
                    I would think that by 66 (the first production IIs, IIRC) the color had lost some favor, at least compared to Studebaker days.
                    Of course, I'm sure N&A had lots of leftover paint...

Any thoughts on the issue?
                    Those original Avanti colors would have become 'core' colors for the Avanti II, with other shades being a special order item. They were exclusive to the Avanti in the first place, and would be readily available from the paint supplier. I believe a turquoise one was featured in early Avanti II advertising.

Craig

Comment

I think it's a very early Avanti II. The car looks to sit level...no rake.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks for all the input and speculation. Actually I had not given any thought to it being an Avanti II. It could very well be but my knowledge of such minutiae on the "late model" stuff is pretty meager so I will go with whatever gets the most votes! If it is a II that would be even more scarce since by the mid '60's there would have been far fewer of those on the roads than the original versions. Another possibility is that it belonged to the owner (or manager) of the Inn since it was parked right out front!? Anyone's guess.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

My guess would be that it was a wealthy customer there to have Sunday lunch, not to stay at the Motel, thus it could be a local resident.

Comment

My guess is 1965-1967 Avanti II. It would be one of 157 cars. It is unusual with no right side mirror and with wheelcovers.

The owner or manager of a business should not park right in front taking up customer spots for a business where people come and go regularly. Probably commonly done now, but not so common 45 years ago, specially in a smaller town.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't see the curb feelers that my car sported, Matt. I'm going with '67 II with the fender fillers in and no side markers. Sure wish it had turned out to be mine, though.
                              Jim
                              Often in error, never in doubt
                              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X