Antifreeze!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifreeze!!

This appeared on the Buick forum but it applies to our cars also!!

Robert Kapteyn

I concur with that thread. I used Prestone "All Makes" or whatever antifreeze in my R2 after a rebuild and restoration and had no end of problems with gasket sealant washout and gassing. I switched after a full flush to Napa green and had no further problems.

Comment

'C'mon, Guys, we covered this Organic Acid Technology (OAT) antifreeze over three years ago in The Co-Operator: Page 22, July 2007 Turning Wheels.

Check it out: The warning is right there as the lead-off "monologue," as is the advice to continue seeking and using good old-fashioned ethylene-glycol based green coolant in our cars, based on early reports of OAT problems in collector vehicles, and a discussion of why and how the problems come about. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I did not get Turning Wheels three years ago; is there any way to get the text of this article on-line? I've got the "any color" Prestone in my restored Model-A Ford, but I figured with a complete rebuild, and modern sealants and gasket materials, it would be fine. Interested to see what you guys put together for potential issues in 'collector cars', if they've been rebuilt with modern materials.

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
          I did not get Turning Wheels three years ago; is there any way to get the text of this article on-line? I've got the "any color" Prestone in my restored Model-A Ford, but I figured with a complete rebuild, and modern sealants and gasket materials, it would be fine. Interested to see what you guys put together for potential issues in 'collector cars', if they've been rebuilt with modern materials.
          AFAIK, the article text is not on-line. I deleted it from my electronic files several months ago or I would copy and post it here.

'Best bet is to secure a back issue from Cornerstone Registration; information on that is in any current Turning Wheels.

Meanwhile, there is no need to back off anything Jim Pepper and I said in the June 2007 Turning Wheels: "Any Car, Any-Color, One-Size-Fits-All" OAT-type antifreeze has been bad news for collector cars.

WHY it is bad news was explained in the June 2007 writing. If anyone wants to scan that writing and post it here, that's fine with me; I don't have a [working] scanner.

If I had OAT-type anti-freeze in any of my cars, even if it had been used only to top off, I would drain, thoroughly flush, and replace it (in the proper ratio with water, of course) with pure, conventional ethylene-glycol antifreeze immediately. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X